Author Topic: Attaching Diagram Gates to Sequence Diagram reference fragments  (Read 2816 times)

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
I have a number of small sequence diagrams that I want to insert into a larger diagram. I have dropped the diagrams onto the "parent" diagram and EA creates a reference fragment - perfect! However, in some cases I need to be able to show a message from one diagram passing out of a fragment and back into the "parent diagram"

I stumbled upon this section in the EA user guide about "diagram gates"

http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/12.1/building_models/diagramgate.html

It seems to be a way to provide an "off-page" connector between different sequence diagrams - precisely what I need to do. However, I can find no way to "attach" the diagram gate to the reference fragment (as shown in the EA user guide example)...

Any suggestions?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Attaching Diagram Gates to Sequence Diagram reference fragments
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 02:19:30 am »
Create a diagram gate from the toolbox
Drag/drop another SD onto the diagram
Drag the diagram over somewhere at the border of the diagram frame
Make it top z-order

q.

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 05:33:29 pm »
So, if I understand correctly, there is no way to "embed" the gate within a sequence diagram fragment? The only thing you can do is to graphically "group" the two elements together

I was hoping that you could achieve a similar effect to adding activity parameters to Activities?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 06:37:43 pm »
No. It's a free floating element, not an embedded one. Just at a guess I think that diagram frames can not hold embedded elements at all.

q.