Author Topic: Best way to link external files  (Read 1172 times)

jepessen

• EA User
    • View Profile
Best way to link external files
« on: July 12, 2016, 12:09:57 am »
I'm creating many requirements for implementing messages that I receive from network.

I want to specify meaning and fields of every message but, since they're a lot, instead of writing their description inside the requirement I'd like to use a link to an external file that already explains the ICD.

I'd like to know what's the best way to do it. I want to create a file link inside the note, but it links to a file on my pc, so if I move the project to another computer I lost it. I'd think to have the .eap file inside a folder, with a sub-folder with related documentation, and I'd like to move this folder from one PC to another one and, when opening the project in EA, clicking on a file link will open the file.

In other words, is it possible to use relative paths instead of absolute ones when creating a file link when I'm writing notes in the property window of a diagram element?

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to link external files
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 01:00:57 am »
Hello Jepessen,
The question is, to what you want to be relative to?

I never reference to a local file, neither relative nor absolute.

If there is something outside (in a network) where I expect that it will remain, I link to that (http  (e.g. subversion), network folder,).
I cases where I have doubts, I store the file in the EA repository. This e.g. you can achieve just be dragging and dropping a word file form MS Explorer to an EA diagram.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

jepessen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 01:21:54 am »
I'd like to store documents inside the EA project, but they are many and they occupies hundreds of MB and I don't want to include them all.

What I'd like to do is to create a project folder and create inside it the EA project. Then always inside that folder I create a doc/ folder and I copy my documents there. Then, if I copy the folder in another location or PC, clicking to a file link in EA project will open the file. At the moment this doesn't work because when I create a file link the path seems to be absolute and I'd like to find a way to create a link with a path relative to the root in which there's the project (./doc/mydocument.pdf in this particular case).

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:35:27 am »
EA doesn't know about relative paths (why ever). You could however write an add-in that can handle text in a TV as relative path.

Or maybe you can work with user defined paths for code generation (which are stored somewhere in a file in EA's %appdata%

q.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:37:00 am by qwerty »

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 02:37:33 am »
I know this is not what you are looking for, but maybe a Windows
subst Z: C:\Folder\Example
works for you?
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

jepessen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 03:04:47 am »
Unfortunately no. If I move the project folder to another location or another PC link will be broken.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 03:16:04 am »
See Tools | Local Directories and Paths
There's a category for linked files as well.

Geert

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 06:55:35 am »
Rather than linking the messages inside the requirement you could create an information item with a summary and link inside that.  Then you could associate the information item with the requirement.