Author Topic: "Add Pattern" Not Showing Object Instances  (Read 1221 times)

John Lynn

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
"Add Pattern" Not Showing Object Instances
« on: July 15, 2016, 08:41:03 am »
Hello folks,

I am trying to make some patterns using a combination of Objects and Actors (In an Extended::Analysis diagram). When applying this pattern in other projects, I will want to be able to select existing Objects and Actors to replace the ones in the pattern (instead of creating new ones).

However, when I create the pattern, I can only select "Create" and "Instance" for Objects, and "Create" and "Merge" for Actors.

Thus, when I try and add the pattern to a diagram in another project, I run into two issues:
  • When I try to select an "Instance" to replace one of the Objects in the pattern, I cannot see/select any of the Objects in my model (although oddly enough I can select Actors).
  • When I try to select an Actor to "Merge" with, I am able to successfully select an actor and it inherits the correct associations, but it doesn't appear on the diagram. This means I have to redraw that part of the diagram (which is annoying, but not the end of the world)

Is there some workaround I can take for the first issue? Why are actors behaving differently than Objects?

Thanks & Regards,
John

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
Re: "Add Pattern" Not Showing Object Instances
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 11:03:02 am »
1. With the Instance option for objects, you are choosing a new classifier for the object (i.e. the object will be an instance of "NewClassifier" instead of "OldClassifier"). I don't remember why there isn't a Merge option for objects.

2. If you merge an Actor (or any other Classifier) with an element that isn't on the current diagram, it won't appear on the diagram. I suppose EA assumes it wasn't on the diagram for a reason...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:00:03 pm by KP »
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

John Lynn

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: "Add Pattern" Not Showing Object Instances
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 01:15:33 am »
Thanks KP.

For #1, is there a list or a way to tell which classifiers support the Merge option? It looks like I may need to move away from using Objects.