Author Topic: SysML Viewpoints  (Read 1262 times)

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
SysML Viewpoints
« on: August 02, 2016, 08:46:44 pm »
It seems I am not the only one that is wondering if Model Views EA's answer to the SysML specification of Viewpoint

http://sparxsystems.com/forums/smf/index.php/topic,3315.msg116105.html#msg116105

Does anyone have experience of creating viewpoints and views in EA? Just like the original poster, I can't help thinking that there must be a smarter way to do it!

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: SysML Viewpoints
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 02:47:22 am »
What do you mean with “Model Views”?
The “Model Views” View you enable in Menu “View” or a Model View element you find in the Toolbox “Documentation”?
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 06:26:35 pm »
EA seems to have (at least) 4 otherthings that it calls views
    • Top level package in a model (created by right clicking on the root of the package in the browser and adding a Model View)
    • Model Views, accessed by the Model View browser - which can be used to launch SQL searches and find specific model elements
    • ModelView artefacts which can be used to hold SQL queries and display them within a diagram itself
    • SysML View and Viewpoint elements (accessible from the Package diagram toolbox).

My question was related to the last of these: SysML View and Viewpoint elements

SysML Views and Viewpoints can be used in other tools (such as Rhapsody) to provide a filtered subset of the project browser however I have just had confirmation from Sparx that this is not something that EA supports.

So, in answer to my own question: the only way SysML View and Viewpoint elements can be used is to show (both visually and via the traceability view) the parts of the model are included in a particular view. If you perform a package import between a View element and target packages, the elements within are not actually imported into the view element itself. Some (pretty complex) SQL queries are needed to actually list the elements imported but I've concluded that this isn't worth the bother![/list]

PeterHeintz

• EA User
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 08:07:12 pm »
    I am still using SysML V1.3. For those elements within V1.3 I decided that these do not give me much value, so I do not use those elements. In V1.4 I remember that something has changed, but I did not jet look on that.
    However I will follow this thread.
    Best regards,

Peter Heintz