Author Topic: Status colors not displayed in Archimate diagrams  (Read 1326 times)

michielper

• EA User
    • View Profile
Status colors not displayed in Archimate diagrams
« on: August 15, 2016, 11:15:57 pm »
How can I make the elements in my Archimate diagrams display the colors of their status?

UML elements (requirements, classes) do display their status, I checked. So the settings seem to be ok.

Tools | options | Objects | Show status colors on diagrams
Settings | Project Types | General Types | Status | Applies to... --> check all
Settings | Appearance | Element Shadow --> ON

But all shadows remain grey for all statusses  :(. And, by the way, Interfaces do not display a shadow at all :(.

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Status colors not displayed in Archimate diagrams
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:43:41 am »
I recommend you use an auto color legend. Drop a Legend on the diagram (from the "Common" toolbox), in its properties tick "Apply auto color", set Filter to "Element.Status" and set the fill color or line color as required. These were added at 12.0.1213.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

michielper

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 06:50:50 pm »
Thanks, this is certainly helpful. Very weird though that the colors in such a legend are not related to the status colors in General Types!  :-\

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:11:47 am »
Thanks, this is certainly helpful. Very weird though that the colors in such a legend are not related to the status colors in General Types!  :-\

You need to keep in mind that Archimate doesn't have status colours.  You're layering an external concept over Archimate, although you're free to colour anyway you want in Archimate.

People also ask how they can turn on compartments for Archimate shapes, which also aren't an Archimate concept.  Generally if you're trying to UMLise Archimate it's easier to use stereotyped UML.

pgiuseppe

• EA User
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Linkedin
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 06:06:54 am »
 Generally if you're trying to UMLise Archimate it's easier to use stereotyped UML.

this is what Sparx is doing for all the MDG technologies and "languages" they introduce: they handle them as UML profiles, showing that UMl is much more powerfull that most people believe.
Giuseppe Platania
++++++++++++++++++++++
Head of Enterprise Architecture

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 06:15:18 am »
UML is the basis. Profiles are extensions to it. That's the nice thing about UML. You can construct new languages which can differ in many ways from the UML basis. Personally, I don't have any issue with mixing those dialects (even using SysML, BPMN and standard UML in the same project). As long as you are not introducing a Babylonian tower and stick to manageable subsets, everything is fine (my 2 Cent).

q.