Author Topic: Matrix Specification Artifact - No Model Search  (Read 673 times)

dels

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Matrix Specification Artifact - No Model Search
« on: September 14, 2016, 05:05:26 pm »
Hello

I am trying to output Relationship Matrix diagrams in my documentation.
The documentation is setup to use Virtual documents so as not to rely on the Package structure/hierarchy.

I want to use the Matrix Specification which is an Artifact, as this seems an elegant way of creating an item for documentation purposes, and being able to control how it is used / documented, without having to rely on Package structure as I understand Matrix Profiles do.

The problem I have is that editing (Documentation->Edit Matrix Profile) the Artifact , only has Package as options for Source / Target.
Whereas if I create a Matrix profile I can use Model Search to populate the Source /Target so I can be specific in what I select ( or more importantly don't select ).

I can open the Matrix Specification Artifact and change the Source / Target but I cannot save these changes to the Artifact.
Hopefully I'm missing something here.

Can someone please advise if I'm missing something / doing things the wrong way  ?

Thanks kindly
Dels

dels

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Matrix Specification Artifact - No Model Search
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:19:21 am »
Does anybody have a good way of working with the Matrix Specification Artifact ?

Or do folks generally craft their own matrices for documentation using SQL in template fragments ?

Thanks in advance

VKN

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 10:41:06 am »
The problem I have is that editing (Documentation->Edit Matrix Profile) the Artifact , only has Package as options for Source / Target.
Whereas if I create a Matrix profile I can use Model Search to populate the Source /Target so I can be specific in what I select ( or more importantly don't select ).
You may want to send a feature request.

I can open the Matrix Specification Artifact and change the Source / Target but I cannot save these changes to the Artifact.
Hopefully I'm missing something here.
Did you save the diagram after changing the Source/Target ?

dels

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 06:51:00 pm »
Hello VKN for responding.

It seems to me that if I need a feature request, to control the Matrix then I must be doing something wrong.
How do others use the Matrix functionality for document generation without it being constrained to the project structure ?

With regards to saving changes to the matrix artefact, I can "update the existing profile" successfully if only packages are located in browser. If I use model search then it doesn't work.
If this model search isn't a feature for matrix artefacts, then this isn't a bug, as its not a feature.

I am not purposefully trying to do anything hard here, just output a matrix is has nothing to do with package structure, to a document via the generator.
Is there a common / best practice way of doing this ?

Thanks again
Dels

VKN

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 04:18:49 pm »
The problems you're facing with the matrix artifact are the current limitations in EA.
If you send a report to sparx systems then the problem becomes official.