Author Topic: Association class - multiple associations  (Read 2871 times)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Association class - multiple associations
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 06:49:43 pm »
Paolo,

By the looks of it your true calling is philosophy, which you are trying to apply to the ICT world ;D

Geert

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 09:29:56 am »
So what I didn't discuss with my initial post is the method by which someone takes a conceptual model and derives it down to physical data structures.  While I could create a semantically correct and beautiful model it's abstraction and level of granulation may actually work against getting the best result.

The reason I asked about association classes is that having a class called "human relationship" stereotyped as an enumeration (spouse, sibling, child et al) applied as an association class on every association existing between classes that are real people is a a useful short hand for apply inter-human relationship data domain here.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 10:57:01 am »
Paolo,

By the looks of it your true calling is philosophy, which you are trying to apply to the ICT world ;D

Geert
Yes, I often talk about the Data/Information Architect as Philosopher.  It's ALL in the semantics...

There's that T-Shirt out there that says:  "I'm a XXXXX I solve problems you didn't know you had, in ways you can't understand."  It's used by developers etc. for the public.   In the case of Information Architect, the second bit ALSO applies to techos...   ;)

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 11:00:15 am »
So what I didn't discuss with my initial post is the method by which someone takes a conceptual model and derives it down to physical data structures.  While I could create a semantically correct and beautiful model it's abstraction and level of granulation may actually work against getting the best result.

The reason I asked about association classes is that having a class called "human relationship" stereotyped as an enumeration (spouse, sibling, child et al) applied as an association class on every association existing between classes that are real people is a a useful short hand for apply inter-human relationship data domain here.
Hi Glassboy,

We've managed to teach how to do that from one human to another.  We can go in both directions and refine the model as required.  We'll have a look eventually at how this might be automated.

We can create business data objects etc. from concepts and vice versa.

It's not an exact science yet, but it is repeatable.

Paolo

PS: Not sure I fully understand the point you're making about the association class.
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!