Author Topic: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Unrecognized database format xyz.eap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1128 times)

PeterHeintz

  • EA User
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Karma: +37/-14
    • View Profile
I did some modelling in the “mystic EA area” by refining some properties (structural elements).

By doing so I got an error message “ Unrecognized database format xyz.eap”. When opening the model anew this error remains.
So my database I corrupted by modelling. Any idea to fix that?
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

qwerty

  • EA Guru
  • *****
  • Posts: 8969
  • Karma: +136/-124
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
As usual: get on to your backup. Do people ever learn?

q.

PeterHeintz

  • EA User
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Karma: +37/-14
    • View Profile
Yes, I have gone to my backup.
In this case my data is in SVN so it is easy for me to start from a working point.

But the model data contain assets and will be distributed to a MS SQL DB later.

Up to now over several years I did not manage to make my DB corrupt (stop the world) just by doing modeling. However when distributing those stuff to the MSSQL DB I see some risks that the same happens maybe very frequently on that DB later ("mystic area").
MSSQL restores in my company takes hours or even days. Having this scenario frequently will make my users crazy.
So I would be interested to know if somebody knows similar cases were just doing modeling causes such disaster.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

qwerty

  • EA Guru
  • *****
  • Posts: 8969
  • Karma: +136/-124
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
It mustn't be the modeling destroying your DB. It can "just happen". If you have important assets in your DB you also would have wanted to backup those. If you hadn't: bite the edge of your table or bang your head on it.

Eventually try a native Mickeysoft Access, but I doubt it will tell you more than EA does  :-\

Also just look into it with a hex editor (or simply Notepad++) to see if it still "looks like" a normal EAP.

q.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:24:48 am by qwerty »

Simon M

  • EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
  • *****
  • Posts: 6200
  • Karma: +47/-5
    • View Profile
Try the repair function. If that doesn't work, the repair function provided by access sometimes does.

The only database corruption issues I have ever seen have specifically been related to eap files. My vague memories are saying that in most circumstances that's been eap files on a network share.

I've never seen an instance of database corruption for any server based database.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

PeterHeintz

  • EA User
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Karma: +37/-14
    • View Profile
Hi Simon,
I have neither seen a server db nor a eap corruption as well (most of the time I work on a server db).
Now I have it again and this makes we wary about that.

My EAP is on local drive, and in this second case it happens when checking out data from subversion. By opening the eap with ms-access I could repair it.
After repairing the checkout worked!?!?

However I still have the suspicion that these issues have something to do with my redefining of structural element (I mean this http://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.0/modeling_tools/embeddedelements.html) which behaves somehow odd.

Due to the fact that I have more work in this area I will see if I can find out something more concrete.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

Simon M

  • EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
  • *****
  • Posts: 6200
  • Karma: +47/-5
    • View Profile
Getting the error again after a repair makes me think that it's only partially repaired it.

I would recommend using Model Transfer to create a new eap with the same contents and see if that behaves better. (Personally, I'd take the opportunity to transfer to a JET 4 database while I'm at it)
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

PeterHeintz

  • EA User
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Karma: +37/-14
    • View Profile
Well, after my fist disaster I created an entirely new DB already and checked out the stuff from SVN. So if there is something from the first issue still dirty, it is in the SVN data.
I still have the impression that the problem has something to do with redefining properties. As I have mentioned, I have to do more like this, so maybe I can reproduce the crash.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

PeterHeintz

  • EA User
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Karma: +37/-14
    • View Profile
Again I got an inconsistent eap file after check out my data from subversion. So the problem seems to be in the xmi file as well. Again after a repair with MS-Access I was able to check out.
No idea what is happening here, I can do several check outs and check ins without problems, but sometimes I get an inconsistent DB.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

qwerty

  • EA Guru
  • *****
  • Posts: 8969
  • Karma: +136/-124
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
That looks like a more severe problem and you should contact Sparx support, so they can try to reproduce the issue.

q.