Author Topic: Generate Documents: Additional Requirement Fields  (Read 1068 times)

alexnt

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Generate Documents: Additional Requirement Fields
« on: February 06, 2017, 02:44:03 am »
Hi,
I want to generate all (SysML) requirements of my model in the following table style:

Column 1Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
{Element.Name}{Element.Notes} ? ?
Rqmt 1TextAdditional field 1 textAdditional field 2 text
Rqmt 2TextAdditional field 1 textAdditional field 2 text
Rqmt 3TextAdditional field 1 textAdditional field 2 text

For column 1 and 2 I use the fields Element.Name and Element.Notes. The columns 3 and 4 shall contain additional descriptions about the requirement.

My first idea was to define two new "tagged values" that contain the additional descriptions.
Is it possible to generate user-defined tagged values? If so how do I have to configure my document template?
So far I can only generate the content of table 1 and 2.

Any ideas?

Note:
As a workaround I used the fields Element.Alias and Element.Keywords for the additional text.
But  the "tagged value approach" would be much nicer...

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Generate Documents: Additional Requirement Fields
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 03:36:44 pm »
Hi Alex,

Look into UML profiles.
The proper way of doing this is to define you own stereotypes that extends existing SysML sterotypes.
In the UML profile you then define the extra properties you need.
Then you make a toolbox that contains your new requirement types, and every time you use one of those these extra properties will be translated to tagged values (so you were on the right track with those).

As a cherry on the cake you can then package all of your work into an MDG file and distribute it among models/users.

Geert

Nabil

• EA User
  • Customizing EA for you
    • View Profile
    • View My LinkedIn Profile Here
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 03:55:20 pm »
Hi Alex,

As Geert mentioned it good to have your own MDG, Instead of adding these tagged values manually for every element. Try to create your own MDG extending SysML.

Also if your are wondering how to report tagged value you will find Element.valueOf  -> Enter the tagvalue name

BR,
Nabil

Sparx Systems India - Services
Consulting | View Training Plans | Profile View

alexnt

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 07:04:26 pm »
Thanks for the fast replies.
I have never created my own MDG or a Toolbox but I will try it.
If I have problems I will get in touch with you soon ;)

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 09:00:42 pm »
Hi Alex,

For completeness: you don't have to create an MDG Technology in order to add tagged values to your requirements, or in order to get them out in a document.

The MDG Technology is just a way (the way) to bundle various EA adaptations, like UML profiles (which specify tagged values for elements), diagrams / toolboxes, and document generation templates. So you can put everything together in a neat package.

But if you haven't done one before, I'd recommend you start with getting the document generation template to do what you want and then worry about how to package and distribute your adaptations.

Just my 2 cents',

/Uffe

My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

Nabil

• EA User
  • Customizing EA for you
    • View Profile
    • View My LinkedIn Profile Here
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 09:46:57 pm »
Hi Alex,

As I mentioned it is good to have not mandatory.

BR,
Nabil

Sparx Systems India - Services
Consulting | View Training Plans | Profile View

alexnt

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 02:22:54 am »
Hi all,

my document template looks good so far. As suggested in the posts before I have defined my own tagged value types in the UML types and I can generate them to my document with the "Element.valueOf".

I like the approach to create my own toolbox that contains my customized elements because But I want to avoid as much clicks as possible  :)
In a first step I want to "create" my own requirement type with a custom stereotype and two tagged values. As I mentioned before I am not familiar with creating my own MDG technology but I think this is a good starting point (although I have a new EA version): http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/10/extending_uml_models/mdgtechnologies_2.html.
If I have problems with it I will start a new topic because my original problem is solved.

Thanks
 Alex