Author Topic: Sharing Model Searches  (Read 492 times)

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
Sharing Model Searches
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:17:09 am »
I have a need to share model searches so I can put a link on a diagram when double clicked displays a list of objects kind of like a catalogue. I managed to get this working from my login but my colleagues using other login accounts can't see the same searches. We are using Sparx EA V13 with SQL Server repository.
Is there anyway I can share searches so my colleagues can get the list of objects too?
Does anyone know where these searches are stored?

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing Model Searches
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 09:44:33 am »
Hey, Sunshine!   Where've you been?

Searches can be stored in MDGs (the best way to share - see <ModelSearches> section). Otherwise, you can give your colleagues copies of your searches file located in your AppData branch.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Sunshine

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 10:06:03 am »
Head down beavering away you know. Busy creating Sparx EA model stuff and all that. Adapting the to new ribbon in V13 - painful but getting there.

Thanks for that tip about sharing the searches in an MDG. That sounds like a promising lead. I'll try that out.

Of course, search stored in AppData - why didn't I figure that one out.  :-[ Duh!

Glad you are there Paolo to help in my times of need. Have a good day.

Sunshine

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 02:39:41 pm »
Just letting you know what I did to resolve this particular problem. I followed Paolo's suggestion and created a Shared Searches MDG and put the file into our shared folder for Sparx EA config.
For those of you who would like to know the steps using Sparx EA V13. Assuming you've already created the searches in your model then here are the steps.
  • Select Publish Tab>Technology>Publish>Generate MDG
  • Select Next Button on Dialog
  • Create New MTS file
  • Next
  • Select a filename and place to put the mts file
  • Next
  • In dialog fill out something like this
    Technology: SharedSearches
    Filename: G:\Shared\Sparx EA Config\SharedSearches.xml
    ID: EASS
    Version: 1.0
  • Next
  • Tick the searches
  • Next
  • Select the searches you want to share
  • Next
  • Finish

Thanks once again to Paolo.

Now I've just got to remember to do this when I create new searches.
Shame the searches can't be shared in the model aye?

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 05:37:12 pm »
Hello Sunshine,

There's a kinda-sorta way to share (SQL) searches in a project, and that is to copy the search query into a document artifact.
Then other modellers can open the document, copy the contents and paste them into their own search definition.

Clunky but simple.

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

Sunshine

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 08:27:32 pm »
Thanks Uffe, a novel ideal. Yes I think that would work for more experienced users. However my objective was to make it easier for the novice. To explain more I've got are rather complex archimate model with around 17,000 elements. I've set it up where there are a number of domains each split into diagrams, catalogues and matrices.
Motivations
-Catalogues
-Diagrams
-Matrices
Business
- Catalogues
- Diagrams
- Matrices
Application
- Catalogues
- Diagrams
- Matrices
etc. You get the idea.
I've found the level of nesting was making it difficult for the novices to navigate so I created a set of diagrams with links that behave very much like webpages. One of the links did a search and produced a list for the catalogue of objects. I was all please with my self until I found out that I was the only one for whom the links worked. After digging around I found the searches I'd created weren't visible to other users. So thats now all sorted thanks to putting the searches in MDGs and activating them via links on diagrams.
Works quite well. Cool aye? 8)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:34:57 pm by Sunshine »

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 11:26:57 pm »
You can import the MDG in the model, which is usually what I do when working in a "central repository" environment?
We have a number of MDG's that have nothing but searches (one for general searches, one of "traceability" matrix type of searches, and one of QC searches)

Geert