Author Topic: How to massively change fixed to floating licenses?  (Read 1487 times)

Arquesoft

• EA User
  • EA Consulting and development in Spanish
    • View Profile
    • Arquesoft website
How to massively change fixed to floating licenses?
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:11:15 am »
I have the following scenary: 300 fixed licenses installed in 300 computers and 250 floating licenses installed in a server.

I want to migrate the 300 computers to use the floating licenses instead of the fixed licenses. Is there any way to build a .bat or something like that in order to massively run it in the background to avoid changing it manually? I don't want to enter to the option "Register and manage your license keys" in EA one by one. Do you know if this information is stored in any plan file? XML? a windows registry entry?

Sunshine

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: How to massively change fixed to floating licenses?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:17:43 am »
A lot of organisations have tools to roll out installations of apps across the environment. Usually it involves installing and configuring the app on one machine and they take a image of it along with the settings. So you could install Sparx EA and configure it to point to the licence server then take an image and roll it out to the rest of the environment using such a tool. So have a chat with your infrastructure team to see what they use. For instance I've seen the infrastructure guys use Microsoft SMS now called System Center Configuration Manager do this in the past.
Hope that helps.
 :)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 02:38:36 pm »
You don't have to change anything to the application installation, just roll out a set of registry settings.
Check out the deployment whitepaper on the website for details.

Geert

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 06:39:01 pm »
Hello,

I have changed clients' installations from file-based keystore to server-based, though not from single-host licenses. Here are the relevant registry entries for the file-based-to-server-based scenario. This should at least get you halfway.

The key is
\\HKCU\Software\Sparx Systems\EA400\EA\OPTIONS

The values as follows.
ValueTypeContent
SKTREG_DWORDShared key type; 0 for file-based, 1 for server-based.
SharedKeyFolderREG_SZPath to folder where sskeys.dat is located. Used if SKT=0.
SSKSAddressREG_SZKey server URL; ssks://example.com. Used if SKT=1.
SSKSPasswordREG_SZKey server password, encrypted.1 Used if SKT=1.

1If you set up a single password for all users to use when checking out licenses, this can be distributed. If you set up individual passwords, there's no point in distributing it. If you want to distribute a password, you need to connect to the keystore server, enter the password and then extract the encrypted password from the registry. This can then be included in a .reg file or distribution package of your choice.

HTH,

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:46:20 am »
If all of your clients are in a Windows Domain then the registry settings Uffe has given can be deployed using a Group Policy Preference.