Author Topic: Increased width of "Recent" section of Start Page  (Read 2270 times)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Increased width of "Recent" section of Start Page
« on: May 09, 2017, 09:52:07 am »
Can we get the width of the "Recent" section of the Start Page?  Quite a few of our descriptive file names are larger than the visible width.

In these days of large screens, there's no need to be so parsimonious.

Reported,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Increased width of "Recent" section of Start Page
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 06:15:05 pm »
parsimonious

A new day a new addition to my vocabulary :)

Geert

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:34:46 am »
parsimonious

A new day a new addition to my vocabulary :)

Geert
Because we have an onto-terminological model in our repository, I do try to use the right word in the right place at the right time.

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 11:46:00 am »
Because we have an onto-terminological model in our repository, I do try to use the right word in the right place at the right time.

I was accused of being needlessly pedantic last night when I pointed out that the designer of the new game we were playing didn't understand that the word "each" can't replace the words "every" and "any" in every circumstance.  Until we reached a significant incident where it was of vital importance to understand what was going to happen next.  The point was conceded that  I'm precise and accurate, not pedantic. 

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 02:20:28 pm »
Originally, 'pedantic' meant 'like a pedant', and a pedant was a male schoolteacher. So being pedantic was teaching someone the correct and accurate facts and procedures. Websters Dictionary still suggests 'precise' and 'accurate' as synonyms of 'pedantic'.  Sadly, with the decline and fall of the English language, 'pedantic' is now used simply to define someone as unnecessarily critical about the meaning and use of terms.

What do you call someone who is pedantic about the use and meaning of 'pedantic'??
Best Regards, Roy

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 04:05:50 pm »
What do you call someone who is pedantic about the use and meaning of 'pedantic'??

I guess that would be a meta-pedantic  ;D

Geert

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 04:51:46 pm »

I guess that would be a meta-pedantic  ;D

Geert
meta-pedant at least!  ;D

But, actually, they are just a pedant.   ;)

Otherwise, we end up in simplistic merely being an "upmarket" form of simple  :o - which as we pedants know is NOT the case.

Let's hear it for PEDANTRY!

Paolo
-Semantica-

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 05:11:38 pm »
In which case, open the floodgates!

Never ever use the term 'agreeance', which is a strange construction gaining favour as a totally unnecessary replacement for 'agreement'.

And we Aussies seem to be using the word 'less' to cover both situations where 'less' is appropriate and situations where the term should be 'fewer'.  Very roughly, if you measure it, it is 'less', and if you count it, it is 'fewer'.
Let me go home and work up a lengthy monologue on this!
Best Regards, Roy

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 06:56:53 pm »
Less/Fewer becoming synonymous is an issue in the UK as well.

And then we have the negative influence from American English.  One example that particularly annoys me, and is similar to the horrible "agreeance" mentioned by Roy,  is "learnings",  as in "we need to review the learnings from that project",  meaning "lessons learnt".   Learning, as we pedants know, has a completely different meaning and does not have a plural.

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 07:28:42 am »
The best ever email sig   I have seen read

--
I am not the most pedantic person you have ever met.  I am the third most pedantic.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 09:54:52 am »
The best ever email sig   I have seen read

--
I am not the most pedantic person you have ever met.  I am the third most pedantic.
Love it!

Paolo
-Semantica-

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 10:08:14 am »
And we Aussies seem to be using the word 'less' to cover both situations where 'less' is appropriate and situations where the term should be 'fewer'.  Very roughly, if you measure it, it is 'less', and if you count it, it is 'fewer'.

Far fewer Australians will know how to use "get\got" correctly than know the difference between less and few.  8)

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 11:22:49 am »
A looooonnnnnggg time ago when I was 9 years old, my Primary teacher was a fearsome, raw-boned lady from Belfast, who had an intense dislike of the words 'got' and 'then'. I still cannot see either word without hearing her voice dripping with scorn, issuing from a mouth like a knife-cut across her face. "Aend don't ever use 'gawt' or 'the-an' in your woork, or Gawd help you."

She had an intense dislike of a lot of things. Including me.
Best Regards, Roy

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 12:11:31 pm »
A looooonnnnnggg time ago when I was 9 years old, my Primary teacher was a fearsome, raw-boned lady from Belfast, who had an intense dislike of the words 'got' and 'then'. I still cannot see either word without hearing her voice dripping with scorn, issuing from a mouth like a knife-cut across her face. "Aend don't ever use 'gawt' or 'the-an' in your woork, or Gawd help you."

She had an intense dislike of a lot of things. Including me.
When I was 9 (probably longer ago) and was in school in London, UK, I, too, had such a teacher (although she was a local Londoner).  She was, what one might describe as, a harridan.  Miss Rodley struck fear into the hearts of us all...  I guess I was one of her targets.  Ah... those were the days! 

Paolo
-Semantica-

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 12:20:57 pm »
Less/Fewer becoming synonymous is an issue in the UK as well.

And then we have the negative influence from American English.  One example that particularly annoys me, and is similar to the horrible "agreeance" mentioned by Roy,  is "learnings",  as in "we need to review the learnings from that project",  meaning "lessons learnt".   Learning, as we pedants know, has a completely different meaning and does not have a plural.
Graham, I'm not so sure on this.  This may genuinely be a case of language evolving (as opposed to the usual devolving).  Using a word incorrectly is NOT "evolution", it's wrong!  (as in agreeance!)

It might be interesting to work through this (and it even has a direct involvement with modelling - since many of us are building ontologically related models).

Can you give your definition of "Learning" (and, preferably, its source) and why you believe the usage you described is incorrect?

We (currently) have 2 definitions for "Learning" in our Onto-Terminological model.  One is the verbal form, one the nounal.  The usage that annoys you could be a specialization of our nounal definition.

Paolo
-Semantica-