Author Topic: Increased width of "Recent" section of Start Page  (Read 2286 times)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Increased width of "Recent" section of Start Page
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 02:28:28 pm »
A looooonnnnnggg time ago when I was 9 years old, my Primary teacher was a fearsome, raw-boned lady from Belfast, who had an intense dislike of the words 'got' and 'then'. I still cannot see either word without hearing her voice dripping with scorn, issuing from a mouth like a knife-cut across her face. "Aend don't ever use 'gawt' or 'the-an' in your woork, or Gawd help you."

She had an intense dislike of a lot of things. Including me.
When I was 9 (probably longer ago) and was in school in London, UK, I, too, had such a teacher (although she was a local Londoner).  She was, what one might describe as, a harridan.  Miss Rodley struck fear into the hearts of us all...  I guess I was one of her targets.  Ah... those were the days! 

Paolo

That explains a lot. Childhood trauma's can be hard to process  :'(
Lots of courage to you both  ;)

Geert

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 03:47:25 am »
Less/Fewer becoming synonymous is an issue in the UK as well.

And then we have the negative influence from American English.  One example that particularly annoys me, and is similar to the horrible "agreeance" mentioned by Roy,  is "learnings",  as in "we need to review the learnings from that project",  meaning "lessons learnt".   Learning, as we pedants know, has a completely different meaning and does not have a plural.
Graham, I'm not so sure on this.  This may genuinely be a case of language evolving (as opposed to the usual devolving).  Using a word incorrectly is NOT "evolution", it's wrong!  (as in agreeance!)

It might be interesting to work through this (and it even has a direct involvement with modelling - since many of us are building ontologically related models).

Can you give your definition of "Learning" (and, preferably, its source) and why you believe the usage you described is incorrect?

We (currently) have 2 definitions for "Learning" in our Onto-Terminological model.  One is the verbal form, one the nounal.  The usage that annoys you could be a specialization of our nounal definition.

Paolo

Hi Paolo,  you are may well be right about the evolution of language, although I lean towards the noun "learning" being used incorrectly.   A quick double check with a dictionary confirms it doesn't have a plural and means some form of body of knowledge rather than being a synonym for lesson. 

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 09:54:50 am »
[SNIP]

Hi Paolo,  you are may well be right about the evolution of language, although I lean towards the noun "learning" being used incorrectly.   A quick double check with a dictionary confirms it doesn't have a plural and means some form of body of knowledge rather than being a synonym for lesson.
I work in an educational institution so "Learning" is an important concept.  The nounal form is (as you suggest) is "Knowledge or skill acquired by systematic study in any field of scholarly application."  The implication there is that the amount of knowledge is indeterminate.  Consequently, we can allow the acquisition of a specific item of knowledge ("Don't run with scissors") as a learning.  Certainly, our academics seem to use it in that way.  When dealing with a collection of such (specific) learnings - the plural can be used (without loss of generality), but when dealing with the indeterminate quantity the singular is used.

How does that sound as an evolving use?

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 12:16:45 pm »
It sounds like you're invoking the appeal to authority logical fallacy.  Just because they are academics isn't a guarantee they're not abusing the language. 

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 01:38:05 pm »
It sounds like you're invoking the appeal to authority logical fallacy.  Just because they are academics isn't a guarantee they're not abusing the language.
There's evolution and there's genetic engineering ;)
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 02:08:13 pm »
I wasn't quoting them as authorities!  (To paraphrase Mick "Crocodile " Dundee)," They're not authorities, I'm the authority!"   ;D  I was using them as examples of the usage.

One of the reasons I like working here is that the definitions HAVE to be "Academic proof"!  ;)

(It IS Friday)
Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 02:10:50 pm »
There's evolution and there's genetic engineering ;)
"Madame, we've agreed what you are.  Now we're just arguing the price"

Evolution is just genetic engineering done by nature.  :D

Paolo
-Semantica-

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 07:52:38 am »

As we're being precise.  You're conflating evolution and natural selection.  Genetic engineering and natural selection are both processes by which evolution happens.

mic drop

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 09:44:06 am »

As we're being precise.  You're conflating evolution and natural selection.  Genetic engineering and natural selection are both processes by which evolution happens.

mic drop
As we're being precise, natural selection surely is a two part process, random genetic mutation (engineering) and "survival of the fittest".  Therefore, not worthy of a mic drop.   ;)
Paolo
-Semantica-

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 10:20:23 am »
As we're being precise, natural selection surely is a two part process, random genetic mutation (engineering) and "survival of the fittest".  Therefore, not worthy of a mic drop.   ;)

Well, there's a bunch of things around the genetics.  Not only do you have actual code change (mutation or bacterial recombination) but you can also have changes to the way code is expressed (barrier proteins and other voodoo).  But the survival of the fittest is not necessarily about change to the genome.  The change can be environmental; from climate to competition to predation.  So no it's not really a two step process. :-)

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 04:42:13 pm »
There is only thing I know.

Verbing weirds nouns.

:o
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."