Author Topic: Link to Connector Feature  (Read 693 times)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Link to Connector Feature
« on: May 24, 2017, 10:22:30 am »
We can link a note to an element feature, but we're increasingly coming across situations where users would like to link a note to a connector feature (particularly the Notes field).

Can we please have Link to Connector Feature functionality?

Reported,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

VKN

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Link to Connector Feature
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:46:04 am »
That feature is already present.
Attach a note element to a connector.
Right click on the note element then select Advanced

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:21:36 pm »
That feature is already present.
Attach a note element to a connector.
Right click on the note element then select Advanced
Which, of course, by EAUI, is inconsistent with attaching a Note to an Element Feature where you have to click the connector to bring up the functionality.

Also, while it's a good start, other features might be useful.

Still, at least, I can let my user(s) know that the main Use Case (attaching to Notes) is available.

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 08:12:25 am »
I can use the quick linker to connect a note to a connector (association) as well as to an element (class) (in 12.1).

Also by selecting a connector (where ate least one end is attached to an entity (not a note)) the context menu allows me to 'attach note or constraint'

What I can't do (and probably should be able to):
  • Link the note to a connector connector note
    In the previous post using the note context advanced menu you can link only to connector tagged values and constrains
  • Select the notelink when it is connected to a connector (but I can select a notelink when it is connected to an entity)
  • In fact the notelink connected to a connector appears to have no context menu at all.

I hope that as Paulo has 'reported' this these inconsistencies might be rectified as part of any changes made.

Orthogonality rules
Using EA12.1 (1229) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 09:50:31 am »
I can use the quick linker to connect a note to a connector (association) as well as to an element (class) (in 12.1).

Also by selecting a connector (where ate least one end is attached to an entity (not a note)) the context menu allows me to 'attach note or constraint'

What I can't do (and probably should be able to):
  • Link the note to a connector connector note
    In the previous post using the note context advanced menu you can link only to connector tagged values and constrains
  • Select the notelink when it is connected to a connector (but I can select a notelink when it is connected to an entity)
  • In fact the notelink connected to a connector appears to have no context menu at all.

I hope that as Paulo has 'reported' this these inconsistencies might be rectified as part of any changes made.
Hi Skiwi,

Have a look at the bugs I reported in "Bugs and Issues", they might have some bearing or at least save you some heartache.

Also, the "Notelink" attached to the connector is not.  It is a chimaera, it only exists on the diagram.  It is a rendering of the "internal" relationship held by EA.  That's why it has no context menu.

HTH,
Paolo
-Semantica-