Author Topic: Migrating from v12 to v13  (Read 1328 times)

babdev

• EA User
    • View Profile
Migrating from v12 to v13
« on: June 21, 2017, 01:55:18 am »
Hi

Just wondered if there's a guide to show where menu items in v12 are now located in v13? Finding it rather painful moving between the two versions right now  :-\

Thanks

Mike

Oliver F.

• EA User
  • Arenīt we all in the model business ?
    • View Profile
    • Karl Storz homepage
Re: Migrating from v12 to v13
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:43:08 pm »
I can feel your pain.

Maybe it helps that I am currently mostly not relying on the menu bar but use the menu item search functionality to get quick access to functionality.
That way I also get an idea where the items are hiding now. I still have to get used to that ribbon concept.

Oliver

PatrickS

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 05:51:26 pm »
Yes indeed, Sparx has prepared for us an Excel File you can download on their page where you find the old place versus the new place of each command.
https://www.sparxsystems.de/fileadmin/user_upload/downloads/EA13_menuechanges/Menu_EA12_to_EA13.xlsx

Also make sure you have selected the Application Look "Microsoft Office 2016" (Start -> Workspace -> Visual Style) because only then you get the practical and helpful "Find Command" TextBox next to the Ribbons Titles which usually should help you quickly get your command.

Thirdly be advised that the "old" Toolbars are still available, just usually hidden (in case us used them and miss this Access to commands now): click the "Window" Button on the very left of each ribbon, -> Show Toolbar.

Forth recommendation: Try to not resist too much to the new philosophy of the ribbons but to follow what the Inventors had in mind and what is the logics that drove them. It's not to create disorder but to lead from a "what do I have to do" Point of view rather than a "What commands are available" Point of view.

Hope one of those Points helps.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:10:28 pm »
If wasn't that sure the yearly easter egg game "where's the menu for ... this year?" will still go on with ribbons I'd praise that as improvement. But I'd do that only after having seen V14 and some stable menu (ribbon) state. I'm pretty sure the egg search will go on.

q.

babdev

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 07:07:12 pm »
Yes indeed, Sparx has prepared for us an Excel File you can download on their page where you find the old place versus the new place of each command.
https://www.sparxsystems.de/fileadmin/user_upload/downloads/EA13_menuechanges/Menu_EA12_to_EA13.xlsx

Also make sure you have selected the Application Look "Microsoft Office 2016" (Start -> Workspace -> Visual Style) because only then you get the practical and helpful "Find Command" TextBox next to the Ribbons Titles which usually should help you quickly get your command.

Thirdly be advised that the "old" Toolbars are still available, just usually hidden (in case us used them and miss this Access to commands now): click the "Window" Button on the very left of each ribbon, -> Show Toolbar.

Forth recommendation: Try to not resist too much to the new philosophy of the ribbons but to follow what the Inventors had in mind and what is the logics that drove them. It's not to create disorder but to lead from a "what do I have to do" Point of view rather than a "What commands are available" Point of view.

Hope one of those Points helps.
Thanks for your help, some really helpful advice there.  :)

I only recently found the "Find Command" option. I'd seen someone use it at the usergroup event this year so knew it existed but took me ages to find it!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 07:11:26 pm by babdev »