Author Topic: V12 to V13 UBitMenu  (Read 583 times)

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
V12 to V13 UBitMenu
« on: June 23, 2017, 07:54:05 am »
Would it be possible to provide an extra tab in Sparx EA to show the old menus of V12 in a similar fashion to UBitMenu for Office
http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/

The reason why I ask why is that I'm getting it in the neck from all my users who've used V12 and earlier about the ribbon and not being able to find the menu items they've come to love.
I think this would great at helping those well established users of Sparx EA whilst providing the ribbon for the new users. Best of both worlds I think.

I'm sure it wouldn't take a developer too long to add that feature and would provide a means to alleviate the pain a number of users are experiencing. So please implement this idea soon as it was difficult enough to get these users off Visio, spreadsheets etc in the first place without them whinging on about the new user interface.

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: V12 to V13 UBitMenu
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:39:47 am »
I think you should tell your users to "talk to the hand".  As technology improves we need to evolve our interfaces to it.  Mental fossilization and resistance to change only actually serves the bad guys who build advance persistence threats, not your users.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: V12 to V13 UBitMenu
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:57:51 am »
I think you should tell your users to "talk to the hand".  As technology improves we need to evolve our interfaces to it.  Mental fossilization and resistance to change only actually serves the bad guys who build advance persistence threats, not your users.
+1

The Ribbon is just a different menu.  Sure it looks different, but what got me "over the hump" was realising that the next step in the menu was the text at the bottom of the ribbon section.  Thus to change the type of the diagram, think: Design > Diagram > Manage > Change Type...    As the Meerkat in the advertisement says:  "Simples!"

Now I've given the Ribbon a chance, I think it's better than the previous Sparx menu system.  It is more consistent and rational.  That having been said, being able to use more keyboard shortcuts to attach to the commands would be VERY useful.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Guillaume

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • www.umlchannel.com
n
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 05:05:43 pm »
To help you finding your way round the new ribbons, you can use the mapping details that I published here: www.umlchannel.com/en/enterprise-architect/item/232-mapping-between-enterprise-architect-12-1-menus-and-enterprise-architect-13-ribbons

Note that a PDF document can be downloaded at the bottom of the page. New versions will be released based on feedback and possible mistakes to improve.

Guillaume

Blog: www.umlchannel.com | Free utilities addin: www.eautils.com | Automated tests for scripts & addins: www.eatests.com