Author Topic: Diagram Filters stored on Diagram level!  (Read 850 times)

PatrickS

• EA User
    • View Profile
Diagram Filters stored on Diagram level!
« on: June 24, 2017, 02:59:28 am »
Hi!
The Diagram Filters functionality is useful but for users who discovered it and start to use it intensively it shows a problem. The Diagram filters are always stored on Project level (or installation level? didn't check that). However if I create a filter I often create it specifically for a diagram (as it is a diagram filter :D). It would be great to be able to store such a filter on the diagram level, so that it would only be visible when I am on this diagram.

Additional request: I sometimes have additional info on a diagram that typically I hide, only in special occasions I show. Currently I have to use a second version of the digram which is very unsactisfactory. It would be great to be able to set a diagram filter as default filter. When the diagram loads (or prints) the filter is already activated, till I select diagram filters and deactivate it.

How can I incourage you to implement these featuers?  :P

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
Re: Diagram Filters stored on Diagram level!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 05:51:07 pm »
Hi Patrick,

Please note that this is a user forum. There are a couple of Sparxians here, but most of us are regular users or EA consultants (plug plug).

This subforum is for discussion suggestions with other users. Posting here does not constitute making a feature request to Sparx Systems. In order to do that, follow the link provided on the forum front page.

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

PatrickS

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 05:17:47 pm »
Ok, thanks for helping me to go the right way. So here it's to discuss "amongst us" what we would wish to suggest to Sparx and to collect a stronger voice, right? Does it make a difference for Sparx or should we then refer to the thread of the forum when making the request there? Or do they check that anyway?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 06:10:40 pm »
Referring to this thread might help. Getting your friend friends and preferably trainers to send official requests will most likely put in more pressure.

q.

PatrickS

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 06:51:28 pm »
ok, thanks for the suggestion!

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 11:20:19 pm »

PatrickS

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 08:07:22 pm »
http://www.sparxsystems.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1406020469
http://www.sparxsystems.com/forums/smf/index.php/topic,30006.msg219689.html

Thanks Graham_Moir for the reference. I have done the job to go through all those posts and conclude: Yes a lot of things were discussed but I feel this is still not a satisfactory solution. The main points still to be discussed are:

1) The wish to persist diagram filters within the model (and therefore make it available for all users and bound to the model and not to the local installation)
2) The wish (that I brought up in this thread) to persist diagram filters on diagram level (so that a diagram could hold a specific filter only used for this diagram).

As for No 1: Fears were discussed that another user would get surprised by seing a filtered diagram which he did not decide to filter. That could easily be solved by each user having to switch on the filters and to hold the on/off status of a filter on session level.

As for No 2: When using the functionality intensively (for example for keywords etc, specific to a diagram) that would be very useful. Two ideas for implementation A) give the filter a property "scope" so that the user can configure the package level where he wants this filter to be available B) more easy: selection "Model level" or "Diagram level". C) Realize it like the new legend function as an element to be dropped on a diagram (in this case an invisible element). This would make it possible to reuse the same filter on several elements (per link, just as legends) and to see in the choice of filters available while a specific diagram is open all the filters that apply due to these links.

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 06:21:12 pm »

Time to submit enhancements requests then I think..  Further discussion here probably won't go anywhere.