Author Topic: Documentation template: Hide first level?  (Read 557 times)

PatrickS

• EA User
    • View Profile
Documentation template: Hide first level?
« on: June 24, 2017, 03:04:44 am »
Hi!
When creating a documentation I always have to select one only root package. If using a numbered style sheet, this Root package will get the 1, and all it's members get 1.1, 1.2 etc. - so I never see a 2.... How can I ommit the first package level from appearing at all, and hold it only as a bracket to define which (sub-) packages I want to show? I tried to change all the numbering list and ommit the first level - but I wonder (as everybody should hit the same problem even without a numbered list), if this sophisticated method can be the "normal" way?

Help very much appreciated!

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Documentation template: Hide first level?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 10:30:29 pm »
    You can obtain more control over the documents you produce by creating virtual documents:

http://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.0/model_publishing/virtualdocuments.html

Let's suppose you want to generate documentation from each of the sub-packages in your project:

My Root Package (the package that you are using to group sub-packages, but one that you DON'T want to include the name of in your report)
 - Sub Package 1 (you want this to be Section 1)
 - Sub Package 2 (you want this to be section 2)
 - Sub Package 3 (you want this to be section 3)
      -Sub-Sub Package A (you want this to be section 3.1)

Steps
  • Create a Model Document model element and add it to a diagram (http://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.0/model_publishing/createadocumentobject.html)
  • Drag Sub-Package 1 from the project browser onto the model document - this will create an attribute that points to Sub-package 1
  • Repeat for other sub-packages you wish to include
  • Open the tag value window to view the tagged values for the Model Document and select the appropriate template (this is where you will specify the outline level of the package name)
  • With the model document selected, press F8 to open the document generator window and press generate

EA will now process each of the sub-packages that are referenced in the model document's attributes. The root package will be omitted.

I hope that makes sense. If not, I'll try to explain further...[/list]

Oliver F.

• EA User
  • Arenīt we all in the model business ?
    • View Profile
    • Karl Storz homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 04:42:29 pm »
Isnīt this the use case the "Skip Root Package" checkbox in the document generation option is supposed to handle?

Oliver

PatrickS

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 02:59:06 am »
    You can obtain more control over the documents you produce by creating virtual documents:

:) Thanks Polymorph for your work to describe and yes it helps (have used virtual documents only with the intention to combine differenc documents, now through your help realize that even for one only its the way to do! - particularly because of the attributes list filled with packages and of the possibility to manage report level variables which was also a question I never found out how to manage)

PatrickS

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 03:02:06 am »
Isnīt this the use case the "Skip Root Package" checkbox in the document generation option is supposed to handle?
Oliver

Thanks, didn't notice - I new something like this must exist (and wonder why it's so hidden, I suppose the structure of most documetations does not want to have one (meaningless) root level heading 1 and all others only heading 2 etc. - but well the important thing that the option does exist. So both replies were helpful.