Author Topic: Allow reading of manual tags in DDL Generation  (Read 620 times)

ChrisMW

• EA User
    • View Profile
Allow reading of manual tags in DDL Generation
« on: July 01, 2017, 05:41:10 am »
For a background read, see this post http://sparxsystems.com/forums/smf/index.php/topic,37437.msg234502.html#msg234502, it links to another, all on the same subject.

I want to be able to read all tags, not just the EA ones when I am altering the DDL generating tags. It would allow me to customize the DDL generation from an imported database, specifically, allow me to ignore temporary tables that were put in. I often do not have read access on production, only test. Whilst the structure of the core is correct, these databases often contain additional tables used in testing, but not in production. I want to ignore these when adjusting the model. I could mark these with a tag, and adjust the DDL scripts to deal with these items appropiately. It would allow me to import, tag & alter and export only the the 'production' relevant model in DDL for the team to take forward.

Right now I cannot read my own tags, and given that nobody told me I could (but was taking the wrong approach), I assume the function only accesses the EA list of tags for DDL. I want to simply be able to read any tag. This should not alter existing functionality at all, merely expand the options available to those that want to customise the DDL scripting.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Allow reading of manual tags in DDL Generation
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 06:50:42 am »
Sorry to be not helpful again, but I dropped all that proprietary EA scripting (code gen etc.) in favor of the API which simply lets you do anything (especially such easy things like DDL and code generation) in your favorite language.

q.

ChrisMW

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:25:25 pm »
The, to me, obvious issue with that is that EA uses predefined scripts I want to alter slightly. I have no desire to replace the standard functions with my own code. So allowing this through the API is fine, but could we then see the main program use the API for this? Simply customizing a little tweak is way easier to do than write my own plug-in to do it all. I am not suggesting to alter any script, but expand one function that can be called from the script. That would arguably, also be an API change.

Or am I not getting something.....?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:10:04 pm »
It would be nice if, rather than those proprietary scripts, EA would supply transformation scripts in JScript or VB that could be adapted. But unfortunately they use this awkward proprietary stutter.

q.

ChrisMW

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 05:33:31 pm »
True, but given that reality, I would like to see one function in that current API expanded just a little. I think asking for a total rewrite of the DDL im-/export setup would be a bigger ask. And given that currently I can roundtrip with those scripts, replacing them myself with my code is just silly, more errors, less accesible and tonnes more work.

The current scripts however, are quite easy to understand, but also, quite elaborate. Given the number of databases EA supports, not that surprising either.