Author Topic: [solved] Structured Node - Activity  (Read 1030 times)

Henrik Raböse

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
[solved] Structured Node - Activity
« on: July 02, 2017, 07:14:22 am »
Hi,

how to use this function.
I cannot found any options to set the reference to other diagram / sub-activities.
http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/9.2/standard_uml_models/subactivity.html

A tutorial at youtube would be great.

--
regard raiserle
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 01:20:22 am by Henrik Raböse »

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Structured Node - Activity
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 12:20:26 am »
Hi,

When you drag a 'Structured Activity' from the Toolbox to the canvas, you can either create a Simple Composite or from a selection of  'Structured'. See also the online help (F1 in the diagram).

Just give it a try, and you quickly understand it. Drag a 'Structured Activity' from the Toolbox to an Activity Diagram and observe Diagram and Project Browser. With ALT+G you can navigate from Diagram Element to specification in Browser.

'Simple Composite':
It's an Activity which is refined by an Activity Diagram. A useful construct, often called Composite. You will learn to appriciate it. It hides complexity and with a double click you jump into the refinement.

'Other':
Personally, I never use them. If I have e.g. a loop I usually model it as a 'Composite Activity'/'Simple Composite'. The name is then something like 'Loop over all..'. The refinement diagram (composite) contains what inside the loop happens. If you use such a construction you get easy to understand Activity diagrams. If you try to model loops with Case and Merge you soon get a messy diagram. It takes long to understand the sense behind it.
Another possibility is to use <<Stereotypes>> like <<loop>>.

Kind regards,

Helmut
Coaching, Training, Workshop (Addins: hoTools, Search&Replace, LineStyle)

Henrik Raböse

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Structured Node - Activity
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 01:18:34 am »
Hi Helmut,

thank you for this answer.
The "Simple Composite" works fine.

--
regards raiserle