Author Topic: Role name vs. attribute  (Read 1513 times)

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Role name vs. attribute
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 06:19:58 pm »
I am not absolutely sure in what I am saying here, but in my mind-set a data type is a programming language concept to cover the problem that computers are not capable to handle things like rational numbers and to be able to write safer programs, and this is the conceptual essence for me. Who did take care about, if some kind of number is 16bit or 32bit having a sign bit or not, before we had those computers?

Further on things that have value might also be referenced. A name binding to a data type instance or a pointer to that instance for me is some kind of reference as well (whatever reference exactly means).
I am absolutely sure that I always implement wrong models (at least in what those models should describe). However I do my very best to create models, which can be understood by others in a helpful way.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 08:28:35 pm »
Who did take care about, if some kind of number is 16bit or 32bit having a sign bit or not, before we had those computers?
Blaise Pascal and Charles Babbage when they constructed their calculators.

q.

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 09:17:12 pm »
Yes, maybe!
But probably they thought more in toothed wheels and number of tooth and less in data types and bits, and they probably did that because there machines consist of toothed wheels.  ;)
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 11:28:48 pm »
Actually there's not so much difference between projecting numbers to bits or teeth of cog wheels.

q.