Author Topic: Looking for feature: Find connector in all diagrams  (Read 1528 times)

Arquesoft

• EA User
  • EA Consulting and development in Spanish
    • View Profile
    • Arquesoft website
Looking for feature: Find connector in all diagrams
« on: August 05, 2017, 12:38:23 am »
Has anybody ever found something like a "Find connector in all diagrams" feature? Maybe a search, view, add-in, etc? (not even found in bellekens library)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for feature: Find connector in all diagrams
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 01:57:13 am »
This would be tricky. First, or a search you would need to select the two elements and EA gives you a hard time to find out which elements you selected (be it browser or diagram). Next there is no need for a connector to have an entry in the table t_diagramlinks (though the newer EA versions seem to create that). Once you have the object IDs of both elements you could do a SQL searching t_connector with start_/end_object_id and then join that with t_diagramlinks.connectorId to finally find the diagram from DiagramID.

Probably it's simply better to scan all diagrams that have the two elements inside (t_diagramobject.objectID). This will list also connectors which were suppressed from t_diagramlinks.

Have fun.

q.

Arquesoft

• EA User
  • EA Consulting and development in Spanish
    • View Profile
    • Arquesoft website
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 02:20:16 am »
This would be tricky. First, or a search you would need to select the two elements and EA gives you a hard time to find out which elements you selected (be it browser or diagram). Next there is no need for a connector to have an entry in the table t_diagramlinks (though the newer EA versions seem to create that). Once you have the object IDs of both elements you could do a SQL searching t_connector with start_/end_object_id and then join that with t_diagramlinks.connectorId to finally find the diagram from DiagramID.

Probably it's simply better to scan all diagrams that have the two elements inside (t_diagramobject.objectID). This will list also connectors which were suppressed from t_diagramlinks.

Have fun.

q.

Thanks, good idea. I will implement a search finding the diagrams that have both elements adding a NOT IN clause to exclude the diagram if there is a record in t_diagramlinks where the connector is hidden

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 11:45:31 pm »
I have implemented that feature in the EA Navigator as well.
Simply select the link on a diagram and open the node "In diagrams", and you will get a list of all diagrams where this link is visible.
Double-clicking a diagram from the list will open the diagram and select the link in that diagram.

Geert

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 09:31:37 am »
I have implemented that feature in the EA Navigator as well.
Simply select the link on a diagram and open the node "In diagrams", and you will get a list of all diagrams where this link is visible.
Double-clicking a diagram from the list will open the diagram and select the link in that diagram.

Geert
Hi Geert,

Do you also get a list of where it is available, but not visible?  This is needed also.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 06:40:03 pm »
I just tested it and it shows all diagrams where it could be shown regardless of the "hidden" status.
It might be a good idea to indicate somehow that the relation is hidden on that diagram. I'll add that to my backlog as a new feature to be added.

Geert

pbrown

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 05:24:40 am »
I just installed the latest EA Navigator in EA version 13.5.1351. I have the navigator window displayed, but I can't figure out where to find how to 'open the node "In Diagrams"'. When I select the connector in the diagram, the right mouse popup menu has no such option and I don't see anything in the EA Navigator window that seems appropriate.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 03:49:08 pm »
This is what I see:

https://imgur.com/7v7SzDE

Geert
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:53:12 pm by Geert Bellekens »