Author Topic: Relationship Matrix: Need to be able to edit profile name  (Read 422 times)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Relationship Matrix: Need to be able to edit profile name
« on: September 08, 2017, 05:01:06 pm »
As we refine our relationship matrices, the semantics often changes.  Accordingly, the semantically correct name (as opposed to the original name) needs to track the changed semantics.  There appears to be NO mechanism (I stand to be corrected by "Sir Roy of the C") to change the name of the Matrix Profile after the initial save of the new profile.

Reported,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

VKN

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Relationship Matrix: Need to be able to edit profile name
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:25:30 am »
There is a way to do it if you change the way to create the profiles.
Look for Matrix Specification in the following link.
http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.5/model_domains/artifact.html

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 04:44:52 pm »
http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.5/model_domains/artifact.html
Thanks, I'll take a look, but my feeling is that once the profile is created you can't change the name.

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 09:42:30 am »
So, in the Sparxian way, there are NOW two Matrix mechanisms.
Matrix Profiles and Matrix Specification Artifacts.  They use two different mechanisms.  In the first (Profile) you can change the Matrix "specification" but you can't change the name (after initial creation).  In the second (Artifact), you can change the name but nothing else (after initial creation).  In the second, the "specification" is held in a <memo> Tagged Value, but there seems to be no way to render the XML specification into the initial dialog which created it.  I may be wrong, but I have a day job so I didn't waste more than a minute or two trying to find it.

Is there any conceptual difference between a Matrix Profile and a Matrix Specification.  Before VKN pointed me at the Artifact subtype, I just thought Matrix Profile was a misnaming of Matrix Specification.

Paolo
-Semantica-

VKN

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 09:47:05 am »
In the second (Artifact), you can change the name but nothing else (after initial creation).
I think you missed the following bit on that page.
To edit the Profile, right-click on the  Artifact and select the 'Documentation | Edit Matrix Profile' option.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:14:36 am »
[SNIP]
I think you missed the following bit on that page.
To edit the Profile, right-click on the  Artifact and select the 'Documentation | Edit Matrix Profile' option.
[/quote]Sure did.  I'm a user.  I don't read all the documentation.  ;) 

However, it isn't really obvious in the context menu, is it?  Especially when you double-click (for you Roy!) the artifact to open the specification and thereafter double-clicking opens the matrix.  The User Experience leaves much to be desired.

Paolo
-Semantica-