Author Topic: BPMN Import - Diagram does not draw correctly  (Read 922 times)

Eamonn John Casey

• EA User
    • View Profile
BPMN Import - Diagram does not draw correctly
« on: August 02, 2017, 08:24:47 pm »
Hi!

I recently got a BPMN file that was exported from CA Agile Requirements Designer. I am trying to import it into EA using Import XML / BPMN v2.0. It imports all of the elements but the diagram comes ou very strange. For example: Arrows don't Connect to boxes. They just stop in dead Space on the canvas.

I am guessing that the Bounds and Waypoint coordinates are the problem. That EA uses different geometry. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks for any advice
Eamonn J.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: BPMN Import - Diagram does not draw correctly
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 02:42:44 pm »
Hi!

I recently got a BPMN file that was exported from CA Agile Requirements Designer. I am trying to import it into EA using Import XML / BPMN v2.0. It imports all of the elements but the diagram comes ou very strange. For example: Arrows don't Connect to boxes. They just stop in dead Space on the canvas.

I am guessing that the Bounds and Waypoint coordinates are the problem. That EA uses different geometry. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks for any advice
Eamonn J.
Hi Eamonn,

Does the integrity checker have any complaints?

If not, then one possible way around the problem (so long as you don't mind EA using the default drawing style) may be to delete the diagram links entries.  This will force EA to use the default drawing style to link the objects.  You can take it from there.

Make a copy of the repository and using direct SQL manipulation (by whatever means) delete the t_diagramlinks rows.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:41:00 pm »
Arrows don't Connect to boxes. They just stop in dead Space on the canvas.

This shouldn't happen. All connectors in EA have two ends with an element at each end. If a connector appears to end in midair, then where's the element? It could be invisible, it could be hidden behind another element. It needs to be found!

In general though, transferring models between tools is a lot easier than transferring diagram layouts, so expect to spend some time rearranging diagrams manually...
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 05:00:18 pm »
Arrows don't Connect to boxes. They just stop in dead Space on the canvas.

This shouldn't happen. All connectors in EA have two ends with an element at each end. If a connector appears to end in midair, then where's the element? It could be invisible, it could be hidden behind another element. It needs to be found!

In general, though, transferring models between tools is a lot easier than transferring diagram layouts, so expect to spend some time rearranging diagrams manually...
With a shapescript, I have (inadvertently) created arcs that DON'T visually connect to any vertices.

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 08:28:52 am »
The situation I've seen this occur is when an embedded element appears on a diagram without its parent (so it isn't drawn).

Generally, the GUI will prevent this from happening, but it's likely that the BPMN import reconstructed the elements on the diagram literally.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:42:37 am »
The situation I've seen this occur is when an embedded element appears on a diagram without its parent (so it isn't drawn).

Generally, the GUI will prevent this from happening, but it's likely that the BPMN import reconstructed the elements on the diagram literally.
That's why I asked if the Integrity Checker has any issues.
We have a defect in our automatic diagrammer that will allow a part to be placed on a diagram without its parent.  The Integrity Checker picks this up.  Perhaps it can pick up the reverse issue.

Paolo
-Semantica-

Eamonn John Casey

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 09:50:42 pm »
Integrety Checker did not pick up any problems. I think I'll abandon this one for a while.  ;D