Author Topic: Values of attributes always truncated  (Read 586 times)

MaXyM

• EA User
    • View Profile
Values of attributes always truncated
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:32:29 am »
Hello guys.
Please look at image below.
You can see 2 elements. GenericServer Node element on the left side and it's instance on the right.
Both are node type elements without stereotype.

Attribute values are truncated. Doesn't matter it is a classifier or an instance.
Please note that settings available in Features and Compartment Visibility simply doesn't work in this case, whatever I set.

On the other hand, RunState values are not truncated. Unfortunately Feature and Compartment settings are not applied to this area also. Longer strings protrudes out of the shape.

Do you have any idea what happens and how to cope with that?
Worth to say I would like to see attributes not truncated, or truncated only if they really don't fit the shape.
Also since duplicated information is waste of space I would like to hide one or another data (RunState ones or inherited from classifier). I know I can hide RunState, but then I can see truncated values. I can hide Classifier attributes, and yes, this is how I'm doing it right now, but this way I cannot see datatypes as well as attributes which aren't set in RunState (incl attributes set in classifier only)

thanx

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:53:06 am by MaXyM »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Values of attributes always truncated
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 01:57:34 am »
Report a bug.

q.

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 08:28:46 am »
I'm pretty sure this has been posted before.  No idea if the poster logged a bug report or not.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 08:41:13 am »
Yes, attribute default values have been explicitly truncated for the entire time I've been familiar with Enterprise Architect.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 09:51:30 am »
Yes, attribute default values have been explicitly truncated for the entire time I've been familiar with Enterprise Architect.
That's my recollection, also.  It didn't seem important enough, in the past, for me to report a bug/feature request.  However, when truncated, a tooltip giving the full attribute specification would be very useful.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

MaXyM

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 12:25:08 am »
Hello all.
Just FYI: Sparx has answered that it is not a bug. However they have submitted a feature request for this.
Don't get why the issue is not considered as bug, since the element presentation is not aligned with compartment settings. At least I have some hope getting it in future.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 12:31:13 am »
The future is a very long time range.

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 09:54:32 am »
Hello all.
Just FYI: Sparx has answered that it is not a bug. However they have submitted a feature request for this.
Don't get why the issue is not considered as bug, since the element presentation is not aligned with compartment settings. At least I have some hope getting it in future.
Things work differently on planet Sparx, you should not apply user experience criteria from planet Earth.

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 01:35:29 pm »
Things work differently on planet Sparx, you should not apply user experience criteria from planet Earth.

Now now Victoria isn't another planet, even if drinking VB is much like being in hell.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 05:34:21 pm »

Now now Victoria isn't another planet, even if drinking VB is much like being in hell.
Victoria is not planet Sparx, you need to take platform 9 from Flinders Street Station to get there.

Paolo
-Semantica-

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 07:27:13 pm »
Victoria is not planet Sparx, you need to take platform 9 from Flinders Street Station to get there.

Flinders St Station and its surrounds frightened me.  There was so many things on the outsides of buildings that would kill you in an earthquake.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 08:46:28 am »
I probably shouldn't say that you'd need to leave from Spencer St/Southern Cross Station...

Flinders St Station and its surrounds frightened me.  There was so many things on the outsides of buildings that would kill you in an earthquake.
Just as well Australia is so geologically stable then.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 08:52:49 am »
Just as well Australia is so geologically stable then.

One of KJU's missiles can probably reach you though :-)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 09:52:55 am »
I probably shouldn't say that you'd need to leave from Spencer St/Southern Cross Station...
I expected the Spencer St response.  That's for earthlings... In order to get to planet Sparx, you have to go to Flinders Street.  ;)  I checked carefully and you can't use the direct route.  :'(

Paolo
-Semantica-

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 10:39:23 am »
Ahhhh - so that was YOU in the news report of a gentleman taken from Southern Cross to St Vincent's Hospital with a broken nose, black eyes, cracked skull and broken ribs after shooting over the handle of a luggage trolly into a platform pillar when he inexplicably sprinted with said trolly into said pillar. It's taking you a while to learn, Paolo. I thought you might give up after the episode when you burned your feet in the fire after sneezing into your "floo dust" and blowing it back out into the lounge.
Best Regards, Roy