Author Topic: To rectangle or not to rectangle?  (Read 343 times)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
To rectangle or not to rectangle?
« on: September 28, 2017, 05:45:24 pm »
I'm trying to switch between MDG stereotyped rendering and rectangle notation. So what I did is this:

- Create a BPMN2.0/Business Process/Data Store which renders a nice disk cylinder shape
- Now from the context menu Appearance/Select Default Image
- Leave NONE in the menu (why the hell does the dialog pop up at all since it promises to set the "Default Image" and not the "Alternate Image" like the menu option below)
- The element renders rectangular

Now, that's nice and what I wanted to achieve. But how can I switch back to the MDG stereotype display again? It seems that I can't. First, I can't find any option for that. Second, when I delete the diagram objects and drag it once again from the browser I get the rectangle notation. Why? Because t_object.StyleEx now has DefalutImage=0; which forces the element to appear as rectangle each time you drag it onto a diagram.

Bug (not) reported (after Paolo).

q.

P.S. I tried sending a bug report but the form refused to give a Version dropdown entry while requiring an entry right there. Oh My God!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:49:41 pm by qwerty »

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: To rectangle or not to rectangle?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 10:37:47 am »
I'm trying to switch between MDG stereotyped rendering and rectangle notation. So what I did is this:

- Create a BPMN2.0/Business Process/Data Store which renders a nice disk cylinder shape
- Now from the context menu Appearance/Select Default Image
- Leave NONE in the menu (why the hell does the dialog pop up at all since it promises to set the "Default Image" and not the "Alternate Image" like the menu option below)
- The element renders rectangular

Now, that's nice and what I wanted to achieve. But how can I switch back to the MDG stereotype display again? It seems that I can't. First, I can't find any option for that. Second, when I delete the diagram objects and drag it once again from the browser I get the rectangle notation. Why? Because t_object.StyleEx now has DefalutImage=0; which forces the element to appear as rectangle each time you drag it onto a diagram.

Bug (not) reported (after Paolo).

q.

P.S. I tried sending a bug report but the form refused to give a Version dropdown entry while requiring an entry right there. Oh My God!
q,

I think you may be confusing image and image.  I don't think rectangular notation has anything to do with an image (as in graphical ima, png, jpeg etc.).  To convert from non-rectangular to rectangular, as your book says, you just need to set UCRect=1; in the Stylex.  If the diagram object doesn't support the [ ] Use Rectangular Notation Menu item, there's NO way AFAIK to change that via the UI.  You need a script.  Unfortunately, even if the script sets the value correctly if the shapescript for the object actively suppresses rectangular notation, you are at its mercy!  I think the Datastore is one such.  You just have to go back and change the shapescript.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 06:12:31 pm »
Well, I'm trying to use EA sparxish. I want to see rectangle notation and voila the Default Image did that. But obviously it'a a cul-de-sac. Simply speaking: having Use Rectangle Notation available for ALL elements would just be fine. But unfortunately someone tried to be smart here and just showed this option only in certain circumstances.

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 10:51:14 am »
Well, I'm trying to use EA sparxish. I want to see rectangle notation and voila the Default Image did that. But obviously it'a a cul-de-sac. Simply speaking: having Use Rectangle Notation available for ALL elements would just be fine. But unfortunately someone tried to be smart here and just showed this option only in certain circumstances.

q.
Yes, as someone once said...

Concistency, konsistency, consistensy! TMUffe - after Paolo

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:19:19 pm »
Reply from Sparx: This has been confirmed to be corrected in a future build.

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 05:37:29 pm »
Reply from Sparx: This has been confirmed to be corrected in a future build.

q.
What EXACTLY did they confirm they will rectify?

It's not clear to me which of a number of bugs you have identified (in this thread) they are intending to fix.

Paolo
-Semantica-

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 06:07:17 pm »
There appears to be a bug that selecting NONE for the default image sets a value that other parts of EA believes a value has been assigned. In particular, it is preventing a shape script from rendering, which means the base UML renders.

The result of selecting NONE should be identical to having never set a default image.

Setting the alternate image (not default) to none draws correctly. However I did notice that if I explicitly set an image and then clear it, the label for the datastore is removed.

Of course, this does not tell HOW it will be rectified. I'd guess that the setting of the Default Image will be corrected.

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 10:45:11 am »
There appears to be a bug that selecting NONE for the default image sets a value that other parts of EA believes a value has been assigned. In particular, it is preventing a shape script from rendering, which means the base UML renders.

The result of selecting NONE should be identical to having never set a default image.

Setting the alternate image (not default) to none draws correctly. However I did notice that if I explicitly set an image and then clear it, the label for the datastore is removed.

Of course, this does not tell HOW it will be rectified. I'd guess that the setting of the Default Image will be corrected.

q.
Their reply is what I expected.  In other words, they confirm that setting/unsetting the image is, effectively, orthogonal to whether or not rectangular notation is invoked.  At least it means we won't have to change our shapescripts.

Paolo
-Semantica-

Guillaume

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • www.umlchannel.com
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 02:41:14 am »
Hi,

I was looking for thread matching a bug I'm experiencing with SysML and it could match this one.
The issue is quite easy to reproduce :
- create a SysML requirement diagram
- create a few requirements
- create a new diagram (sysml ou uml) + drag drop the existing requirements.
Result: the reqs are displayed with a rectangle notation. I even get an odd side behaviour with a Requirement label appearing underneath...

Experienced with build 1351.

Guillaume

Blog: www.umlchannel.com | Free utilities addin: www.eautils.com | Automated tests for scripts & addins: www.eatests.com