Author Topic: Matrix Diagram: Canít use (some) keyboard shortcuts in Matrix Diagram  (Read 336 times)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
When in the Matrix Diagram, it appears one can't use keyboard shortcuts.  I tried a couple [SHift+F9 and [Ctrl+F9] and neither worked.  This doesn't happen in other "special" diagrams such as the Model Search page.

Reported,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Matrix Diagram: Canít use (some) keyboard shortcuts in Matrix Diagram
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:58:32 am »
I'm becoming a little sick of the Matrix being a special diagram.  It would be very useful if they were normal diagrams sitting in packages with some of the same magic sauce we have in normal diagrams.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 10:52:15 am »
I'm becoming a little sick of the Matrix being a special diagram.  It would be very useful if they were normal diagrams sitting in packages with some of the same magic sauce we have in normal diagrams.
Doesn't take long does it?

I used to have an aphorism, "it actually takes more effort to make things inconsistent that to make them consistent..."

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 08:51:27 am »
I used to have an aphorism, "it actually takes more effort to make things inconsistent that to make them consistent..."
Of course, that's not necessarily true. It takes more effort during the conceptual, planning and design stages. Effort that may be earned back during implementation and maintenance. Doing the same when retrofitting new concepts into something that is much harder again, and will increase effort at all levels. Including end user adoption.

Diagrams, searches, matrices, package lists, gantt charts, roadmaps, kanban, even the project browser and property dialogs are all examples of views of the model. Conceptually, there are views that you want to parameterize differently and save/load them as needed. There are views that need to respond to the user actions and views that should be constant. There are also cases where different users may need/want to see something different when looking at the same view.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 09:16:18 am »
Diagrams, searches, matrices, package lists, gantt charts, roadmaps, kanban, even the project browser and property dialogs are all examples of views of the model. Conceptually, there are views that you want to parameterize differently and save/load them as needed. There are views that need to respond to the user actions and views that should be constant. There are also cases where different users may need/want to see something different when looking at the same view.

Sure but is it that hard to make a stub in a package that opens up what is currently called a "relationship matrix profile"?  I'm currently using EA to find a large number of gaps in service offerings.  It works really well.  Anyone can open up my project and browse it. However the real analysis is all hidden.  You have to understand this crazy non intuitive convoluted construct needed to get the relationship matrix to display.

So I export them all to csv and load them all into a spreadsheet and email them around.

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 09:41:53 am »
Sure but is it that hard to make a stub in a package that opens up what is currently called a "relationship matrix profile"?

You mean like a Matrix Specification Artifact?
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 10:40:58 am »
Sure but is it that hard to make a stub in a package that opens up what is currently called a "relationship matrix profile"?

NO he probably doesn't.  He probably means a matrix profile (the term he used) - found on the resources tab.  Two (as the Singaporeans say:  "Same, Same, but Different") approaches to creating a Matrix "Diagram".

Concistency, konsistency, consistensy! TMUffe - after Paolo

Paolo
-Semantica-

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 01:12:58 pm »

Right didn't know about them and they are definitely helpful.  But why can't the UI around it be a little bit more normal?  For example, why do I need to go into a Documentation menu to edit it?  After a model view can be edited from its own properties.

And now I have to think about where to hide these damn specifications in my package structure.