Author Topic: SCC interface to PTC of EA does not find Unique IDs  (Read 139 times)

ngong

• EA User
    • View Profile
SCC interface to PTC of EA does not find Unique IDs
« on: January 10, 2018, 06:26:46 am »
What I did:
check-in the top-most and other packages as items in PTC, PTC has an SCC integration by a Unique ID for this EA project.
in PTC enabled SCC integration on a colleagues PC (as win7 administrator)
created a sandbox of that PTC folder on that PC.
created a new empty project in EA.
tried to configure Version Control by selecting the local path of the sandbox.
selected "MKS SCC Integration" for the field "SCC Provider" (the only choise)
opened the "Unique ID" pull-down to select it for the given EA project stored in the given PTC sandbox.

What I expected:
a list with just the Unique ID to appear in the pull-down - as known by PTC and probably derived by SCC and EA from the sandbox.

What I got:
an empty list - I cannot have EA to link to the Version Control Settings of the EA project found in the sandbox.

What I checked:
I can - and some colleagues can do also - create a new project from the PTC sandbox on the original PC and colleagues PCs.
I checked every step on my and on the colleagues PC to be sure they are the same.
I restarted EA, I rebooted the PC, ...

Nothing helped.

It seems that sometimes or for some reason EA is not able to find the available Unique IDs associated with the PTC sandbox.

What could cause this missing linking?
Or: what would be a next step to find out?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 06:36:07 am by ngong »
Rolf

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: SCC interface to PTC of EA does not find Unique IDs
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 08:48:46 am »
The unique id is defined by you in EA to reference a version control configuration.

http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.5/model_repository/versioncontrolsetup.html
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

ngong

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 04:50:43 am »
Thank you for your answer, Simon.
However, it does not solve my problem.

On the link you provided there is another link: http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.5/model_repository/addpreviouslydefinedversion.html

In Step 2 it tells about "previously defined version control configurations". That is my case: I already defined the Unique ID on one PC, and - sometimes on other PCs - the drop down appears to be empty instead of showing already defined Unique IDs. Sometimes it works as described in the other link.

Why? What could be the difference? Where to look further?

When I do not solve this problem, I can not share the EA model that is checked into PTC with some colleagues.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:01:52 am by ngong »
Rolf

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:20:39 pm »
Hi,

I've worked a lot with EA and PTC. In the end, it works, but sometimes it takes some time.

Have you set SCC in PTC on all PCs with admin rights?
- File, Integrations with Admin rights. A boot would not harm.

Best regards,

Helmut
Coaching, Training, Workshop (Addins: hoTools, Search&Replace, LineStyle)

ngong

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 04:17:14 am »
Yes, thank you Helmut for your contribution.
Sure, setting the SCC Integration in PTC - using admin rights - is the first step. Some colleagues and me, we are working successfully with PTC using EA.
The problem is - and I am facing this with several new attempts - that I can not get some of the PCs of colleagues to work with PTC for the first time.
If the link to SCC works ones - it works forever.
Somehow EA shall lookup already existing Unique IDs that come with the cloned PTC project, the sandbox, hosting EA packages.

I am looking for someone who knows the algorithm how exactly EA finds existing Unique IDs in order to narrow the problem.
Rolf