Author Topic: Non-visual associations  (Read 269 times)

eric.meredith

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Non-visual associations
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:29:36 am »
Self-identified newbie here.

I can draw a dependency between two objects and see their relationship in the Relationships window.

Is there a way to establish a relationship, without "drawing the lines", i.e. can I connect an Application to the Server it runs on, without placing either on a diagram and connecting them?

Thx,
Eric

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Non-visual associations
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 06:59:37 am »
Check the View Menu or the Help about Relationship Matrix.

q.

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:32:21 am »
Is there a way to establish a relationship, without "drawing the lines", i.e. can I connect an Application to the Server it runs on, without placing either on a diagram and connecting them?

You can connect them visually and then hide the connection.  I generally have a messy diagram with all connections and a clean diagram with just relevant connections, as I like to always be able to see the connection somewhere.

VKN

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:36:41 am »
Right click on an element in the Project Browser then select Add | Create Link

eric.meredith

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 12:17:40 pm »
Perfect answer VKN. Thx  :)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 05:32:37 pm »

You can connect them visually and then hide the connection.  I generally have a messy diagram with all connections and a clean diagram with just relevant connections, as I like to always be able to see the connection somewhere.
Yes, it is important to be consistent about relationships.  There shouldn't be two kinds of relationships - those expressed by "magic" and those expressed visually.  We create visualisations for our "magic" relationships but hide them by default.

We have even gone to the extent of placing a special widget on diagrams with hidden relationships to warn that you are NOT seeing the "full story".  The widget is managed by automation.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 07:49:20 am »
Yes, it is important to be consistent about relationships.  There shouldn't be two kinds of relationships - those expressed by "magic" and those expressed visually.  We create visualisations for our "magic" relationships but hide them by default.

I'm pretty sure VKN's "solution" will cause those relationships to appear on any diagram with both ends of the relationship present, even where normally the relationship would normally be hidden when one element is embedded in the other.

I can't be bothered testing that to' :-)