Author Topic: How to use Predefined Structured Types for tags for MDG Technologies?  (Read 467 times)

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: How to use Predefined Structured Types for tags for MDG Technologies?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 07:37:35 pm »
Ok,
This works for time and maybe for some else, may be for date and memo as well, but for date and memo you can do something else.

Summary:
-for date and memo you can put <date>/<meme> in the Attribute Initial Value field.
-for using other predefined tags you have to define a Tagged Value Type for each and you have to put the name of that Tagged Value Type as Attribute Name
If you what to use Enums you have to put that in the Attribute Type

So if your goal is to entirely confuse the users, I recommend to use the Stereotype and Alias field as well to come to end. ;)
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:27 pm »
I guess that is the reason why they developed the profile helper.

I'm lucky as I never had to work without it, so I never payed much attention to the actual resulting attributes.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:38 pm »
<grumpy>Having so-called Helpers is not only an indication that people made some user interface which is broken and now try to fix that. It's even worse as they keep the broken and the bypass at the same time. This is double broken. How about replacing the UI with something in one part that works? Bah! What am I dreaming of?</grumpy>

I guess the MDG creation "wizard" has been designed by the same people.

Probably I'm still tempted to cry out when I see things like Clippy.

q.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:25:08 pm by qwerty »

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 08:02:05 am »
I'm lucky as I never had to work without it, so I never payed much attention to the actual resulting attributes.

I teach people to use it because rolling it all by hand you're much more prone to simple errors (such as spelling), especially if you fall somewhere on the dyslexia/dyscalculia spectrum.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 10:42:38 am »

I teach people to use it because rolling it all by hand you're much more prone to simple errors (such as spelling), especially if you fall somewhere on the dyslexia/dyscalculia spectrum.
It's not the simple errors that get you, but the silent failing that doesn't tell you where you made the simple error

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 11:34:42 am »
It's not the simple errors that get you, but the silent failing that doesn't tell you where you made the simple error

To be fair, how is it meant to know "feesch" is meant to be "fish"? :-)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 03:21:07 pm »

To be fair, how is it meant to know "feesch" is meant to be "fish"? :-)
It can't, but it could tell you that the term "feesch" is invalid in the context, just like.. hmm, I don't know, like every code editor anywhere :o

Geert

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 08:36:52 pm »
I am with qwerty, and I use the profile helper whenever I am able to.

In this case I just was not able to, because I was looking for a way to define with the profile helper a tag using a Tagged Value Type Format. This I found by adding strings like <memo>,  <data> in Default Value.
But what on earth is the difference in putting a string in the Default Value field of the profile helper in comparison to put the string in the Initial Value field of an attribute?

At the end I can say that there is no feature at all in the profile helper to define a tag with a tagged value type of type <time> and most others, as defined here:
https://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.5/modeling_tools/predefinedtaggedvaluetypes.html

You have to go outside, defining uml tagged value types and afterwards, when using the profile helper again you have to know the “Predefined” does not refer to the major content you find here https://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.5/modeling_tools/predefinedtaggedvaluetypes.html
but more to the content here:
https://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.5/modeling_tools/predefinedtaggedvaluetypes.html

I have a "not so simple MDG" and I maintain that for years. I know and sometimes forget most pitfalls and sources of errors and there are a lot, even when using the helpers.
It is far away from beeing such simple as "Use the helpers and all works fine".

Anyhow, I am absolutely sure, that with not much effort the power of MDG could be made much handier for creation.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz