Author Topic: Connecting specific object attributes to other objects  (Read 97 times)

RonaldRink

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Connecting specific object attributes to other objects
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:58:12 pm »
Based on the the question on StackOverflow "Why cannot I connect an object (instance of a class) to a specific attribute of another object (instance of a class) in Enterprise Architect?" https://stackoverflow.com/q/50693887/3881834 I would like to ask for the following feature:

Similar the the possibility of connecting elements to specific attributes of a class (via "Link to Element Feature") it should be possible to connect an element to specific attributes of class objects (instances of a class).

The following image shows how this is currently possible with classes:

The result should look similar to this, but with a formal relationship instead of a textual:

See the aforementioned SO question for more details.

Thanks for your feedback. Regards, Ronald
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:03:48 pm by RonaldRink »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting specific object attributes to other objects
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:11:43 pm »
Objects do not have attributes per se. So that's semantically not possible.

Rather making dependencies to classes and linking attributes you should use associations and role names (1st picture). Also this is an EA-only feature and not native UML.

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 11:38:23 am »
Hi Ronald,
qwerty is correct, objects don't have attributes.  They have "slots" and as such the semantics are equivalent.  He is also correct that you should be using associations and role names.

Looking at your "object" model, I see numerous issues with it before it is in a fit state to create the "Link to Element Feature" functionality you are after.

Also, be aware that the question of what is a Classifier and what is an Instance (note I didn't say Class and Object) is not straightforward.  I have a number of posts - some in the fairly recent past that touch on this.  This is exemplified by some of the issues I see in your model.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

RonaldRink

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 03:43:36 pm »
Hi Paolo,

thank you for your answer. I am aware that objects do not have attributes, qwerty already mentioned that in my original SO question. I also know that the Sparx specific feature "Link to Element Feature" is not a UML standard. The reason I posted this problem on the Spary forum is that qwerty suggested to send a feature request about the issue. Maybe I misunderstood this.

Sorry for phrasing my question/request inconsistently or ambiguously. The main thing I want to accomplish is, that I want to "show" objects (not classes) and their relationship to other objects (actually the same as in the 1st image, but for concrete instances). Would you recommend to me, to rephrase the question/post? I will have a look at your post anyway, so maybe I get a clue of what you meant on how to solve this properly.

Thanks again! Ronald

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 05:54:24 pm »
Hi Ronald,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure you are aware of this, but this forum is a user forum, and not an official channel to Sparx.
If you want to discuss a potential new feature with your fellow users then this is the place to do it.

If you want to send a feature request to Sparx Systems for them to consider then you'll have to use the link on the bottom of the page

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 09:12:12 pm »
Yes, it's what Geert linked as last part of his answer. Send a feature request. You have to have a long breath if you're waiting for it to be realized.

q.

RonaldRink

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 02:28:58 pm »
Hi all! Thank you for your comments and sorry for having misunderstood. So please ignore my post. I will do as Geert proposed.

Thanks again and sorry for the bother. Regards, Ronald

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 03:31:58 pm »
Hi all! Thank you for your comments and sorry for having misunderstood. So please ignore my post. I will do as Geert proposed.

Thanks again and sorry for the bother. Regards, Ronald
No worries, nothing wrong with posting here to see how other users think about it.

Geert