Author Topic: Connect Activity and Action via CallBehavior.  (Read 480 times)

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
Re: Connect Activity and Action via CallBehavior.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 02:59:13 am »
You can't "assign" an element "to the behavior". That makes no sense. The behavior is the classifier (activity, state machine, etc), and you specify which behavior a CallBehavior action calls by simply setting its classifier ID in the way I described. This yields the same result as setting it through the GUI, either when creating the action or hitting Ctrl-L later. The Select Element dialog narrows the type of classifier you can pick based on the action's type, so you'll be able to select different classifiers for AcceptEvent and CallBehavior actions, but for one type of action there's no difference between selecting on creation and (re-) selecting later.

The OP asked specifically about linking an action to an activity. That is only semantically valid for a CallBehavior action. Now, since an action is an instance type, you can of course always link any action to a classifier -- even if it is an atomic action, or a CallOperation action, or whatever. But that's beside the point: only CallBehavior actions can be linked to activities in a semantically valid way, and the OP did ask about linking an action to an activity. All you need to do for that to work is set the classifier. If the action is not a CallBehavior action, the question is meaningless.

Put another way: for CallOperation actions there is a difference between setting the classifier and setting the operation, but for CallBehavior actions there is no difference between setting the classifier and setting the behavior. They are the same thing.

/U
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:24 am »
Hmm. You are (almost) right. It seems I got mixed up with both (I don't use it that often). However, there's a little difference. The menu-created CallBehavior has that little trident icon. Just setting the classifier does not create this icon. It will probably only appear if you create the t_xref entry.

q.

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 07:43:55 pm »
The trident, and if someone could explain the visual logic of that thing to me I could go to my grave a happy man, comes from the fact that the action is a CallBehavior, not from whether it's linked to an actual behavior. You can verify this by changing the action kind (properties - advanced).

So if the trident's missing, I'd say that's because it's a different kind of action.

/U
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 08:29:51 pm »
Yes, sure. I just thought that icon should be there to identify the Action as actually being a CallBehavior. Anyhow, I'm leaning in towards areas I have not touched in recent times. I had only been looking at technical details in this thread.

q.

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 09:15:06 am »
and if someone could explain the visual logic of that thing to me I could go to my grave a happy man

I believe the trident is supposed to look like one of those call trees that we used to draw in the days before UML.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 09:52:57 am »
Icons in the Windoze world: The Diskette. I don't remember when Apple abandoned it, but it was probably the last millennium. I guess even the Windoze guys don't remember what the blue square is standing for. Still using that, though.

q.

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 11:29:48 am »
Icons in the Windoze world: The Diskette. I don't remember when Apple abandoned it, but it was probably the last millennium. I guess even the Windoze guys don't remember what the blue square is standing for. Still using that, though.

Circa 1998.  Before that they used to boast that their firm floppy was much better than floppy floppies.

But then again when was the last time you "dialled" anyone.  Millennials probably never have.  Language contains all sorts of apparently dead concepts.  Like why we call you lot Germans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQPYkdp_7Vc

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 06:48:47 pm »
Yes, YOU call us German (man with "ger", which is a lance in English). WE call us Deutsch. Anyhow, social concepts in language may live longer. IT is much faster. Using dead concepts in IT is a no-go.

q.