Author Topic: Types of relationships allowed between elements  (Read 200 times)

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
Types of relationships allowed between elements
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:36:19 pm »
Sparx EA (v 13) only allows certain types of relationships to be drawn between elements for certain types of (UML) diagrams. For instance, I have a structural diagram and cannot draw an association, I can only draw dependencies, traces and information flows. Could somebody please point me in the direction of which relationships are allowed for which diagrams?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Types of relationships allowed between elements
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 11:36:06 pm »
Relations are not restricted per diagram but between certain elements (if you want to be UML compliant). EA will check this (well, more or less) once you turn on Options/Links/Strict Connector Syntax. The fact that you see only a limited number of connectors per diagram is due to MDG which presents just the meaningful connectors (also in the quick linker). You still can get connectors from other context menus.

q.

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 12:38:34 am »
Sparx EA (v 13) only allows certain types of relationships to be drawn between elements for certain types of (UML) diagrams. For instance, I have a structural diagram and cannot draw an association, I can only draw dependencies, traces and information flows. Could somebody please point me in the direction of which relationships are allowed for which diagrams?
Indeed, the restriction is based on connectors.

Is it a correct UML interpretation not to be able to draw an association between an Actor and a Component? If so, what is the proper way (as per UML) to implement an "Owns" and "Governs" relationship, similar their equivalents in TOGAF. By the way Sparx EA TOGAF MDG uses a stereotyped Association for this. 

P.S.: Happy to move this to the UML thread, if needed.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 01:42:33 am »
I would use stereotyped dependencies for that.

q.

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 03:04:22 am »
Thanks qwerty. I have followed your advice and hit a new problem.

All of this was part of profile which, in turn, is part of an MDG. I changed the profile and tested it by saving the package as a UML profile and importing it under resources. The import ends with an internal application error although the import appears to be successful, the new stereotyped relationships are visible under the resources with the correct type. The end result appears to be that the new stereotype relationships are not visible under the corresponding profile.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 03:19:16 am by Modesto Vega »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 10:08:40 am »
You should contact Sparx regarding the import error. That should not happen. The visibility of elements/links in the context is controlled in the MDG by Toolboxes (and optionally in the quick linker).

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 10:51:52 am »
Thanks qwerty. I have followed your advice and hit a new problem.

All of this was part of profile which, in turn, is part of an MDG. I changed the profile and tested it by saving the package as a UML profile and importing it under resources. The import ends with an internal application error although the import appears to be successful, the new stereotyped relationships are visible under the resources with the correct type. The end result appears to be that the new stereotype relationships are not visible under the corresponding profile.
<Caveat=I may be completely wrong>
While not formally deprecated, I don't think Sparx maintain import into Resources as they do MDG support.  Other than some initial attempts at importing profiles into the Resources, we gave it away in favour of just loading MDGs.  If you can package up the profile in an MDG see if that improves matters.
</Caveat>

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!