Author Topic: Paste package from Clipboard very slow  (Read 113 times)

timzo

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Paste package from Clipboard very slow
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:48:05 pm »
Hi!

I need to replicate many times a package in our model to serve as a template. Copy to clipboard then paste package into a new package runs very slowly. This whole process takes between 4-6 minutes. I am connecting to the EA modell through Cloud server over https connection.
Servers CPU, memory, network traffic show very low usage. I cannot figure out where to look for a solution, where is the bottleneck.

When I connected directly to the database (Postgre) I was able to complete the process under a minute which would be acceptable, but this not a long term option.

I'll appreciate any suggestion. Thanks in advance.

Zoltan

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Paste package from Clipboard very slow
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:21:53 am »

timzo

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 01:21:12 am »
Hi Glassboy!

No, it has nothing to do with profile creation.

We design processes using BPMN. We have designed a general reference process that will serve as template for a number of processes. Then we take this template process and customize it to obtain a specific process. To start drawing a specific process I need to replicate that package that contains the reference process.

I am using the following function when selecting a package: Copy/paste/Copy to Clipboard/Full Structure for Duplication
then
Paste Package from Clipboard

this is very slow.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 02:51:27 am »
Timzo,

Have you tried xmi export/import with "strip GUIDs"?
In theory you should get exactly the same result as the copy/past feature uses xmi export/import in the background.
This might be faster because then it doesn't need to communicate that much with the local clipboard.

It's a long shot, but I worth a try.

Another option is to use some kind of remote desktop/citrix/... solution where you have an EA client close to the database. I have quite a lot of clients who are happy with this type of setup.

Geert

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20:08 am »
No, it has nothing to do with profile creation.

Well if you don't want to use profiles you could create you own MDG with just design patterns in it.