Author Topic: How to create searches that reference more than one Tagged Value  (Read 111 times)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
How to create searches that reference more than one Tagged Value
« on: November 06, 2017, 05:38:58 pm »
Using the Query Builder, is it possible to create searches that can use more than one tagged value?  (Property=P1, Value=V1) and (Property=P2, Value=V2) - Don't need to use <search Term> for the present.

When you try to add the second TV, the editor gets confused.
Property=P1
Property=P2
Value=V1
Value=V2

TIA,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: How to create searches that reference more than one Tagged Value
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:27:36 pm »
I'd just use a SQL to build the query. Most likely multiple TVs are not supported since the QB does not have logical operators to combine them. Adding for example the Element Name more than once will make the query not work (I guess it will create a AND in the SQL, but of course you'd expect an OR here; except when using wildcards you might want an AND). As mentioned, Sparx does not have a QA (like I would define a QA). There's so much useless not working stuff in that single product. But then, there's alway a way around. Well, ...

q.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 09:28:40 am »
Using the Query Builder, is it possible to create searches that can use more than one tagged value?
Unfortunately, no. It can only build queries using a single record for each table used.

Adding for example the Element Name more than once will make the query not work (I guess it will create a AND in the SQL, but of course you'd expect an OR here; except when using wildcards you might want an AND).

That depends on whether you have marked both entries as required or not.

Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 09:41:33 am »
Then I guess it will create an AND if both are required. But what if one is required and the other not? Does it create EVENTUALLY?

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 10:38:02 am »
Using the Query Builder, is it possible to create searches that can use more than one tagged value?
Unfortunately, no. It can only build queries using a single record for each table used.

Adding for example the Element Name more than once will make the query not work (I guess it will create a AND in the SQL, but of course you'd expect an OR here; except when using wildcards you might want an AND).

That depends on whether you have marked both entries as required or not.
Thnaks Simon,

I guessed as much from the behaviour, but it was worth clarifying before expending effort "rolling my own".

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!