Author Topic: how to document EA model in two languages  (Read 181 times)

fausto bertoli

• EA User
    • View Profile
how to document EA model in two languages
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:16:09 pm »
We are using EA writing notes for everything elements (package, diagram, components, etc) in italian language. We have indian guys into the team so we also need to communicate with them in english so the document generated from the model should also be available in such language.
Is there the possibility to enter notes attribute in both languages: italian and english?
is there the possibility to select the current language so that by tefault notes are shown in that language?
I wonder something could be done at sqlserver lavel, creating  views to support but ...
What could you suggest?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: how to document EA model in two languages
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:37:59 pm »
We (in Belgium) often use some kind of markup to indicate the language of the notes.
e.g.
Code: [Select]
<EN>this is English</EN>
<NL>dit is Nederlands</NL>
Then we use clever script fragments to get the right part into the documents.
I even have one client for which I wrote a complete add-in dedicated to managing the structured notes.

If you want to also have the names of things in two languages then you can use the alias.
There a setting that allows you to easily switch from alias to name in diagrams.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 10:00:42 pm »
I would recommend to stay in one language. If you need a translation create a document and have it translated. Why? If you keep each text in two languages you are always in doubt which of two translations is correct. If someone edits a note and is only fluent in one language he will only update one part of the notes. Or even worse he will mess up the other part. So: if your modelers are fluent in both languages you can do as Geert suggests (I did something similar in the past). But if not, you should stay in one common language for the model. There are trade-offs in both ways.

q.

fausto bertoli

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:21:08 pm »
Thanks to all of you for the suggestions!
Object names are not the problem on our side.
Regarding the notes the suggested approach to use tasgs within them for each languages could be suitable for us; that means at document generation level we need to select which section to print.
Could you suggest how to do that ?
thanks again
Fausto

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 10:34:48 pm »
For the document generation you'll need to use script templates.

I've published an example on my website that uses such a script template.

Geert

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:52:43 am »
If I had to support a model in multiple translations my starting point would be to create a stereotype extending Element for each translation.

In each one I would add tagged values for Name and Notes. Depending on requirements I would also add TranslationDate, Translator.

That would at least make it possible to manage the translations. With the way the specification manager handles memo tagged values and grouping in the tagged value window it wouldn't even be too ugly.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 03:49:47 pm »
Simon,

You are forgetting that the notes field is the only field that has formatted text.
No such thing in tagged values unfortunately.

Geert

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 04:03:14 pm »
I didn't forget that.

I'd rather have the translations missing formatting and have a clear distinction between them with each one in a logical place.

I recently saw a scenario where someone was doing the same thing with constraints to keep formatting, unfortunately that's not a strategy that works. You could use scenarios as a field with formatted text. It's not my personal preference because it's just a manual thing to create a scenario of the right name/type, the metadata is separated (or not there) and it's not obvious to a reader what is happening.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 06:55:06 pm »
I'd rather have the translations missing formatting and have a clear distinction between them with each one in a logical place.
You might, but my clients don't. They insist on having the ability to enter formatted text for all languages.
I must say I can't blame them.

Now if tagged values could contain formatted text, that would be a different story.

Geert

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 10:49:43 am »
You might, but my clients don't. They insist on having the ability to enter formatted text for all languages.
I must say I can't blame them.

Now if tagged values could contain formatted text, that would be a different story.

Geert
Shoot that man, sir!  He's making sense!

Happy Friday everyone!   ;D

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!