Author Topic: How does EA treats Note, Comments and Text box entries?  (Read 161 times)

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
How does EA treats Note, Comments and Text box entries?
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:04:32 pm »
I've searched the user guide, this forum and googled a bit but could not find a description of how are they different in EA and how they are handled differently by EA.  So far seems like Comments and Notes are the same thing although they have different icons on toolbox; and text box cannot be linked to an element and cannot set line color for the box itself. 

For now my goal is to make an informed decision about which I should use for which purpose.  Does anyone have any info on what is the semantic difference and how EA handles each (including reporting, export etc.) thanks!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: How does EA treats Note, Comments and Text box entries?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:42:37 pm »
Basically they are Text elements in EA's database and receive different renderings by internal flags. I guess they better were just stereotyped rather than this internal flag voodoo which likely comes from ancient roots. But that's the way it is. Just choose your flavor.

q.

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 12:14:40 pm »
Thank you qwerty it's clear!  Basically just pick one and stick with it.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 12:51:19 pm »
Thank you qwerty it's clear!  Basically just pick one and stick with it.
Hi Richard,

FWIW, we distinguish between Annotations - which are formal elements of the model and persistent (controlled and purged only after a formal process) and Comments which are (typically) temporary comments and are likely to eventually disappear from the repository (at the poster's discretion).

We use the BPMN Annotation shape for Annotations (surprise, surprise :) )  and the default Notes shape for Comments.

HTH,
Paolo

Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!