Author Topic: Diagram View Crashes App  (Read 273 times)

enteleform

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Diagram View Crashes App
« on: November 22, 2017, 06:28:32 am »
My project was working fine until today. Now, upon opening a diagram view, the view is loaded but doesn't show any actual data - just empty widgets. At this point, the app becomes unresponsive and crashes shortly after.

I tried exporting the root project to XML, and then importing it in a new EA document, but the problem persisted. I then tried deleting the diagram, creating a new one, and dragging the package elements onto it; but that also caused the app to crash.

Just now, I tried creating a new document to verify that the app is working properly; but I found that the diagram view will crash even on brand new, empty documents.

I also fully uninstalled EA, deleted "AppData\Roaming\Sparx Systems", and then reinstalled EA with the latest installer. The issue still persists.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Diagram View Crashes App
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 09:43:10 am »
I'd recommend contacting Sparx Systems support directly.

I then tried deleting the diagram, creating a new one, and dragging the package elements onto it; but that also caused the app to crash.

This is what I see as the key point. One (or more) of the elements being added to a diagram are causing the crash. It's likely that our support team will need a sample of your model to reproduce the problem. Depending on how much time you want to invest vs concerns with sharing your model with us you can attempt to cut down the problem by adding only a subset of the elements to the diagram and checking if it crashes.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

enteleform

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:53:09 am »
This is what I see as the key point. One (or more) of the elements being added to a diagram are causing the crash. It's likely that our support team will need a sample of your model to reproduce the problem.

That's what I thought initially, but as detailed in the OP - the same issue occurs with blank, newly created projects, even after a complete re-installation of EA.

VKN

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 11:39:36 am »

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:01:23 pm »
This is what I see as the key point. One (or more) of the elements being added to a diagram are causing the crash. It's likely that our support team will need a sample of your model to reproduce the problem.

That's what I thought initially, but as detailed in the OP - the same issue occurs with blank, newly created projects, even after a complete re-installation of EA.

You didn't delete any lingering registry keys, which could contain things such as a corrupted display geometry.

enteleform

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 01:28:23 pm »
You didn't delete any lingering registry keys, which could contain things such as a corrupted display geometry.

Good call.  Figured the uninstallation process would handle that, but it pretty much leaves everything behind. Seems like this should be better managed.  Ended up having to reconfigure key bindings, colors, etc.  IMO user preferences would be better situated in some config files @ AppData/Roaming, or import/export-able via the preferences menu.

Managed to get it working.  Deleting registry keys fixed diagram views for new projects, but the projects mentioned in the OP still exhibited the same issues.  They now work after deleting & recreating the diagrams.

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 02:05:00 pm »

Good call.  Figured the uninstallation process would handle that, but it pretty much leaves everything behind. Seems like this should be better managed.  Ended up having to reconfigure key bindings, colors, etc.  IMO user preferences would be better situated in some config files @ AppData/Roaming, or import/export-able via the preferences menu.

Managed to get it working.  Deleting registry keys fixed diagram views for new projects, but the projects mentioned in the OP still exhibited the same issues.  They now work after deleting & recreating the diagrams.

One of the things you learn using Sparx in a hot desking environment is that there are times you end up with various views positioned off the screen you're actually using.  Display cards that have separate software for screen management are worse for it.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 06:30:48 pm »
[SNIP]

One of the things you learn using Sparx in a hot desking environment is that there are times you end up with various views positioned off the screen you're actually using.  Display cards that have separate software for screen management are worse for it.
We have a standard Workspace Layout called "1Screen" where all the views are collected on the single screen.  We also have others for standard monitor combinations.  If anything gets screwed up, we revert to that layout and "go from there".  Because we move laptops between hot-desks with varying monitor configurations, we startup EA in the 1Screen layout as default, then select the appropriate layout for the particular situation.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 07:42:35 am »
We have a standard Workspace Layout called "1Screen" where all the views are collected on the single screen.  We also have others for standard monitor combinations.  If anything gets screwed up, we revert to that layout and "go from there".  Because we move laptops between hot-desks with varying monitor configurations, we startup EA in the 1Screen layout as default, then select the appropriate layout for the particular situation.

Does this force dialog boxes back to the primary screen?  I don't have an issue with anything that is dockable, it's just the always floating things.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 10:50:15 am »

Does this force dialog boxes back to the primary screen?  I don't have an issue with anything that is dockable, it's just the always floating things.
I'm not sure about dialog boxes; since if the dialog is open, you can't initiate the switch in layouts.

However, in effect, I think we have "designed out" the problem.  Since we always start with a known, good, layout, dialogs end up in a good place from the start.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 11:08:20 am »
However, in effect, I think we have "designed out" the problem.  Since we always start with a known, good, layout, dialogs end up in a good place from the start.

I should probably do this then.