Author Topic: Watermarks. Discuss.  (Read 141 times)

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
Watermarks. Discuss.
« on: December 12, 2017, 09:14:52 pm »
Hi all,

This is a discussion post regarding watermarks.

There are two instances of watermarks in EA: document and diagram watermarks. A document watermark consists of an image which can be specified in the document generation dialog and which is then superimposed on each page of the generated document, while a diagram watermark consists of a single line of text which is superimposed on copied, printed and generated diagrams. The text is repeated diagonally lower-left-to-upper-right with a fixed typeface, size and line separation.

I'm OK with how the document watermarks work, except they're not in the API. So I think there needs to be an addition to the DocumentGenerator() class which allows you to set an image file for the document watermark.

Diagram watermarks are a different story.

First off, there's a bug which causes the watermark to appear in front of the diagram label (eg "class My Class Diagram"). The watermark should be behind everything else, including frames and labels.

More importantly, however, these watermarks are specified per workspace. That is to say, they're stored in the user's registry and not in the project. Meaning a modeller puts the same watermarks on diagrams from every project they access, while at the same time two modellers can print the same diagram at the same time with different watermarks.

This doesn't make sense to me. It would be more natural for a watermark to be dependent on some aspect of the diagram or the model of which it is a part, not on the user account that's exporting the diagram.

I therefore propose that the diagram watermark functionality is reworked as follows:
  • Diagram watermarks to be stored in the project, not in the user's registry. (If necessary, split them into "user (or workspace) watermark" and "project watermark".)
  • [Project] watermark content to be selectable: either the diagram's version; or its parent element's Status, specified tagged value or other property common to all elements; or a fixed string; or an image file (like a document watermark).
  • Watermark layout to be selectable: typeface, size, direction and line separation.

Thoughts?

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Watermarks. Discuss.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:43:40 am »
+1

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!