Author Topic: Exporting package including elements in other parts of the repository  (Read 95 times)

Mats Gejnevall

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hi all
Is it possible to export everything in a package including related elements in other packages and move them to another EA respository? I have created a more detailed set of models in this repository but I do not want them there long term. Would the packages of the related elements also be included in such an export?

Thanks
Mats

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
Re: Exporting package including elements in other parts of the repository
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 01:08:13 am »
Hej Mats,

Not with a regular XMI export. If you've got the Reusable Asset Service set up, its upload function checks for dependencies and prompts you to include them. Main selling point of that service right there.

I think an XMI import includes references (GUID) to out-of-scope elements, so that they can be resolved if the referenced elements are present in the target project, but I think the import ignores those that cannot be resolved. I may be wrong on this.

HTH,

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 02:35:45 am »
I think an XMI import includes references (GUID) to out-of-scope elements, so that they can be resolved if the referenced elements are present in the target project, but I think the import ignores those that cannot be resolved. I may be wrong on this.

That is exactly how I understood it works, so if you are wrong then so am I.

Geert

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:18:28 am »
There is an option to create placeholders for external references. If you use this and then later import the package containing those elements, it will restore the links to those elements by the packages imported earlier.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Mats Gejnevall

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 09:20:32 pm »
So I can do an XMI export and import it later and the external references will be set up correctly?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 09:43:02 pm »
If you're lucky, then yes. 99.99% happiness guaranteed, though  ;)

q.