Author Topic: Labelled connectors  (Read 114 times)

colin_e

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Labelled connectors
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:20:08 pm »
EA Version: 12.0.1215

Another newbie question:

Most diagramming conventions i'm aware of include the idea of labelled connections as a way of avoiding over-long connectors snaking across distant parts of a diagram. This includes UML-

As far as I can tell EA doesn't have this capability. That seems like a surprising omission. I've scanned the forum but haven't found any discussion of this point.

I imagine you could fudge this, visually, using circular elements like ActivityInitial/Final or maybe Interfaces, but that would break EA's ability to treat this connection like a normal point to point relationship.

Is there a way round this? If not, has it been requested as an enhancement?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Labelled connectors
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 12:34:32 am »
Well, you can: ctrl-click a connector at two places so you have 3 segments. Ctrl-click the middle one and choose Suppress Line Segment.

q.

colin_e

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 01:29:17 am »
Well, you can: ctrl-click a connector at two places so you have 3 segments. Ctrl-click the middle one and choose Suppress Line Segment.

q.

Ah that's interesting. I guess you could then apply (visual only) markers at or near the dangling ends for human readers.

I didn't know you could suppress sections of a connector. Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 07:27:29 am »
Most diagramming conventions i'm aware of include the idea of labelled connections as a way of avoiding over-long connectors snaking across distant parts of a diagram. This includes UML-

As far as I can tell EA doesn't have this capability. That seems like a surprising omission. I've scanned the forum but haven't found any discussion of this point.

Perhaps right click on connector and choose virtualise connector end?

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 08:39:12 am »
I guess you could then apply (visual only) markers at or near the dangling ends for human readers.

Or if you name the connector, the name will appear at each dangling end.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com