Author Topic: Data Domains  (Read 90 times)

lfgcasey

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Data Domains
« on: January 05, 2018, 04:11:17 am »
Hello,

My company is attempting to switch over from CA's ERwin tool to Sparx EA for data modeling. One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to define and use 'data domains' in EA. I'm using the term 'data domain' in the data modeling sense. The most common illustrative example is Gender, where the column is defined as a VARCHAR that  can only have two values, "Male" or "Female". It's similar to an enumeration in a code sense, but the concept is far more restrictive in that floating point types can have a defined range, etc.

I've looked into the Database Datatypes functionality and that's close but not quite what we need. I've searched the forum and found this thread but it doesn't have a complete answer.

Can anyone confirm/deny the support of 'data domains' in EA, or provide any comparable solution?

Thanks!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Data Domains
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 04:54:22 am »
I think traditionally things like data domains are defined in the logical model rather then the database model. Usually these are defined using UML Datatypes and UML Enumerations.
You would then need an MDA transformation to translate that to database terminology.

I'm not sure if EA can generate code for user defined datatypes. Possible workaround is to define your user defined datatypes in the list of DBMS datatypes.

Geert

lfgcasey

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 06:21:09 am »
Thanks Geert. Can you point me to a user guide link for defining and using UML datatypes and UML enumerations within the logical model?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 07:28:31 am »
You might start here. Additionally type "Database" in the search field of the appearing page and see where it leads you.

q.