Author Topic: EA Sucks?  (Read 526 times)

fararooy

• EA Novice
  • EA User
    • View Profile
EA Sucks?
« on: January 02, 2018, 10:57:26 pm »
Hi ... I am very concerned about how slow the EA tool generally is, but also much worse (and even impossible to use) depending on the location from which I login to our Intranet. Does EA have any built-in tools for capturing performance or measuring speed of response?

NB: Note I am not talking about complex scripts. Even just opening a view and creating a simple link between two elements, etc.

Saeed

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: EA Sucks?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:23:13 pm »
Hi Saeed,

Generally speaking the performance of the tool is quite acceptable for most users.
There are however specific things to look at when trying to solve performance issues for EA.

- Database: Oracle is known for having bad performance with EA.
- Network: The software is pretty chatty with the database. When opening a large diagram it might execute a few hundreds of very small queries on the database. If you have a limited network bandwidth that might be the bottleneck. I've heard complaint from people when using their corporate Wifi when the speed was no issue at all when using a wired network.

If upgrading the network is not an option you might want to consider a terminal (citrix, remote desktop,...) solution or look into the cloud solution.

Geert

mgraval

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 01:50:37 pm »
I have used the proxy server connection to connect to an EA repository and it worked very good. I was remotely vpn'd from Canada to a DataCenter in Denver with good performance via the proxy server interface. Sorry, could not find the link on the SPARX site for the proxy network config.

Nizam

• EA User
  • Model Sharing - Simplified
    • View Profile
    • Professional Model Collaboration
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 01:54:51 pm »
Hi ... I am very concerned about how slow the EA tool generally is, but also much worse (and even impossible to use) depending on the location from which I login to our Intranet. Does EA have any built-in tools for capturing performance or measuring speed of response?

NB: Note I am not talking about complex scripts. Even just opening a view and creating a simple link between two elements, etc.

Saeed
Also connecting via http (using Sparx Cloud service) offers form 40 to 50 percent improvement in performance for WAN  (this service includes WAN optimizer component as well).

Except for bulk XML exports / imports connecting via http is relatively better.

Start sharing EA Models to wider teams now!!.
View EA Diagram Online or Take a Trial Try Now

MaXyM

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 08:41:46 pm »
- Network: The software is pretty chatty with the database. When opening a large diagram it might execute a few hundreds of very small queries on the database. If you have a limited network bandwidth that might be the bottleneck. I've heard complaint from people when using their corporate Wifi when the speed was no issue at all when using a wired network.

Exactly this. EA if for some reason (or for sake of simplicity of internals) not optimized communication wise. It's not about bandwith about communication medium you use between EA and its storage. EA generates huge amount of requestests, hitting DB even for basic operations like selecting an element on diagram. In such cases indeed Wifi is being penalized a lot.

IMO Sparx should take more care about this.