Author Topic: [sysML1.4] How to type a connector with EA  (Read 158 times)

NiclasB

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
[sysML1.4] How to type a connector with EA
« on: January 16, 2018, 09:14:21 pm »
According to http://www.pslm.gatech.edu/events/frontiers2011/1.3_Friedenthal.pdf page 24, interfaces can be described with association blocks in block definition diagram and with typed connectors in internal block diagrams.

I have tried to do that in enterprise architect, but typing a connector with a block seems to be not possible. I have clicked on "connector > context menu > Advanced > Set Connector Type...". But there is only the option between types "<anonymous>" or "none". If I put the connector in a boundary, surprisingly I can choose a block. But then my boundary gets a class assigned instead, even if I have chosen "set connector type...".

Here is my bdd
And here is my ibd

can you help?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:20:38 pm by NiclasB »

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: [sysML1.4] How to type a connector with EA
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 11:44:10 pm »
I assume you want to type a connector between two properties in an IBD, right?
What you are doing, from my perspective is right but what EA does is wrong. You should rise a bug report.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:03:24 am »
Look like regular ol' ports to me.

Not sure if they're available in the SysML diagram toolboxes, but you can add them as child elements on classes.

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

NiclasB

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:26:22 am »
I assume you want to type a connector between two properties in an IBD, right?
What you are doing, from my perspective is right but what EA does is wrong. You should rise a bug report.

That's correct.

In the IBD I can type a port
>with right click on it>Properties>Property>Type

But the "Properties>Property" menue seems to be not available for connectors.

I will raise a bug report! Thanks for help.

Guillaume

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • www.umlchannel.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 03:59:29 am »
Hi,
Having created the association block (K-Matrix on your BDD -> association between Gateway & Radar), I tried to set the connector type in the IBD between the corresponding parts.
A right click on the IBD connector between the parts > Advanced > Set Connector Type lets me choose the matching connector on the BDD. If you name that connector, it will no longer appear as anynomous - but this is not what you wanted i.e. it should display the name of the association block.
So my understanding is that Sparx only implemented a link between the BDD & IBD connectors based on the BDD connector name. I think the SysML association block is simply not implemented in EA.

Sounds like a SysML feature request.

A workaround would involve using Geert ea-Matic to set the connector's name when an association block is created (I tried it and it works).
Guillaume

Blog: www.umlchannel.com | Free utilities addin: www.eautils.com | Automated tests for scripts & addins: www.eatests.com