Author Topic: Which EA model repository to use; eap file or DBMS?  (Read 289 times)

babdev

• EA User
    • View Profile
Which EA model repository to use; eap file or DBMS?
« on: July 11, 2018, 08:22:32 pm »
Hi

Is there a general rule of thumb for deciding when it makes sense to move from an eap file to a DBMS repository? We're noticing a significant deterioration in performance accessing our file based model and we're not sure whether it's an internal network issue or whether the size of the file is a problem (it's around 200MB in size).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Which EA model repository to use; eap file or DBMS?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 08:26:00 pm »
In general I would say if you user base is >= 5 you should use a client/server environment. However file-size might be an issue as well.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:39:19 pm »
Keep in mind that EAP is just Mickeysoft Access and that was never designed for (real) multi-user use. Not too long ago your net-admin would have shot you when using that over a network. EAP is nice for sketches and 2 or 3 people (or maybe up to 5) are working together. But anything "productive" should go on a real server. It ha no real resource issues (any DB admin would laugh about it). EA has medium network optimization. Most queries are issued one by one and not bundled. But in most cases that is no problem. Only when you have paranoid diagrams with hundreds of elements you might run into performance issues (but with EAP even earlier).

q.

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Emoji's make you look younger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:49:46 pm »
Here is some info that may help.
An eap file is basically an MS Access 97 database which has a limit around 1GB
If using V14 of Sparx EA then you could use an eapx file which is MS Access DB 2003/7 and later which has a limit of 2GB.
Rough rule is to only have around 5  concurrent users using MS Access but you'll find variations.
Slow networks can be problematic as Sparx EA is quite a chatty app.
There is a WAN optimiser that you could try but no experience with that
You can create an eapx file then transfer from your current file.
Being MS Access you should do the following on a regular basis (weekly)
a) project integrity check
b) compact

If your number of users increases or the file size gets close to 1GB or above then consider using MS SQL. Avoid Oracle it has performance issues with Sparx EA.

Not sure about feap files as haven't used them but you could try those as its basically firebird db which has a larger limit.

babdev

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 10:42:07 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated.

There are only 4 of accessing the model at present, so I think I'll start with the integrity check and compact options. Also noticed that on the same menu there's an Update EA file indexes option, so I'll also try that to see if it speeds up access times.

Erlenmeyer

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 05:43:20 am »
We moved to a Sparx Cloud solution with models in MS SQL databases. The server needed some tuning and upgrade, but the performance is tolerable.  File-based option was not adequate for us, especially if MS Access is the underlying DB!