Author Topic: EA in shared DB mode and migrating to MDG Eclipse  (Read 244 times)

pittagentskip007

• EA User
    • View Profile
EA in shared DB mode and migrating to MDG Eclipse
« on: February 17, 2012, 03:48:40 am »
Hi all,

We are running EA in shared DB mode and wish for developers to begin using Eclipse integration with EA MDG. My main goal is to that developers can easily view and link EA material from other SDLC phases (analysis/design) to their code while developing in Eclipse. I'm not looking to generate code from EA i.e. forward engineering but more looking for EA to be the slave yet receive code updates from Eclipse in a controlled manner (much like a source control repository).

Previously before considering MDG for Eclipse, I had imported the source in package per namespace mode and developers began to work against the imported source tree i.e. tracing requirements and design diagrams to source code etc.

Now we want to do Eclipe integration via MDG with multiple developers sharing the workspace.

Two questions:

1) Can I link my existing and previously imported source with Eclipse even though the way the source is imported is not matching the folder structure of the Eclipse project/workspace so as not to lose the information already captured?

2) If multiple resources are sharing the same EA instance, can each synchronize their Eclipse workspace to the EA project and thus overrwite each others changes in EA? I would like to make the source tree in EA read-only and enfoce updates to the EA version of source through synchronization of the SVN code repository. So the flow would be like this:

1) Developer code in eclipse and check into SVN code branch/trunk, doing the proper code merge work to collaborate with other developers

2) EA refresh itself from SVN nightly

3) Developer trace back their previous day's code to requirements/design captured in EA

Maybe I'm missing the point of MDG by doing this flow?