Author Topic: Cannot import MDG XML  (Read 527 times)

A. Engle

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Cannot import MDG XML
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:07:58 pm »
following Sparx instructions, I created a project, a profile package, a diagram, added a metaclass (Artifact) and a stereotype object to diagram and connected them.  Simple.

I right-clicked the package and selected "Save as UML profile" and created the XML.

I closed everything, opened a new project, went to Tools > Import MDG technologies, selected my XML file, and am getting "Parsing Error".

What did I miss?  :-?

A. Engle
TOGAF 9.1

A. Engle

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot import MDG XML
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:15:41 pm »
There's a gap in the documentation which is a little misleading.  I was able to import the UML profile via the resources window.  I would suggest Sparx update the help to include "How to use a UML Profile in your projects" on the pages for "Creating a UML Profile".

please disregard.   :-/

A. Engle
TOGAF 9.1

MeryemAdb

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 01:09:22 am »
As I understand it, the MDG XML file is different from the the XML file you get when you save your profile. But it can be created quite easily.

You can create a MDG xml file by selecting "Tools" then "Generate MDG Technology File...".

If you just want to try it, you can choose to not use a MTS file (MTS will store everything you enter later) and enter the Technology, ID, Version, Filename (do not overwrite your profile file) and Notes. In the next window select "Profiles" only, then select the UML profile you saved as XML. And at the end, the MDG file will be created at the path your entered in Filename, and you can the import this file.

It is explained here:
http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/9.3/standard_uml_models/creatingmdgtechnologies.html

Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:09:42 am by MeryemAdb »

A. Engle

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:20:18 am »
I got it to work.

I just happened to get from Export UML profile to Import MDG somehow in the help.

thanks!

A. Engle
TOGAF 9.1