Author Topic: Document glossary  (Read 1167 times)

Henrik Possung

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Document glossary
« on: February 03, 2015, 06:45:01 pm »
When generating documents with the report generator, we need to have a document glossary with only the terms used in the generated document. We would like to, in some way, compare the terms in the EA glossary and only pick the ones used in the document. Do you know if this is possible to achieve in any way? I was thinking of two approaches, either recursively search all the packages included in the document to find the used terms or in some way search in the generated document for matching terms. Any ideas?

KeesNieuwenhuijsen

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Document glossary
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:40:27 pm »
Henrik, we have the same question. Did you find a solution?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:01:07 pm »
I can think of a solution using a script template and virtual documents.
But your script template should know what type of content you put in the document to be able to know which glossary items to output.
It could read the virtual document to know which model documents are used, then go over the contents used in those model documents and find the glossary items in the notes of the elements and stuff.

But as I said it would need to know how the templates are constructed and which fields are being outputted, so you would need to change it every time you change one of the templates used in the virtual document.

But all in all very doable.

Geert

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 10:36:45 am »
eaDocX performs that function beautifully.

It scans your document for terms in the glossary, adds a glossary table, and underlines the items that have glossary definitions.

It's so useful, team members have linked documents, without any other EA content, purely for the glossary function.

:D

Disclaimer, I'm not on their payroll, just a happy customer.
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."