Author Topic: USE CASE Cookbook  (Read 7364 times)

Andrew_Webster

• EA User
  • Keep It Simple Stupid!
    • View Profile
Re: USE CASE Cookbook
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2003, 09:55:30 pm »
That's rather what I had in mind.

Anyone seen a website that offers the same sort of information?

:-*

All the best

Andrew Webster

Jon Kern

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2003, 06:59:06 am »
Steve,

There is a book I worked on with Peter Coad called Modeling in Color with UML -- it had a bunch of domain models. The idea was that we had seen many, many reusable models through a variety of experiences. Why not publish them in the hopes that people would have similar needs and could simply copy and tweak.

This might be along the lines of what you are describing for the UC catalog? (Likely it is more of a catalog than a recipe book.)

-- jon

Steve_Straley

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2003, 09:13:31 am »
Jon,

Nice to see you here and nice to speak to another fellow published author.

The "catelog" you worked on is exactly along the lines that I was referring to at the start of this thread.  The idea to "tweak" an existing model to fit a current need is similar to taking a recipe and tweaking it to fit the tastes of guests at a dinner party.   Of course, I'd like to see a TON of examples, particular interest and focus are those large cumbersome UC's that are system-to-system only found in large corporations.   And of course, having these available via the web with a cool search engine attached would be ideal!!!!

Steve
Steve Straley

PhilR

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2003, 07:02:11 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Jon - the concepts in your book UML Modelling in Colour had a profound affect on my work.  Having taught object modelling for more years than I care to mention, and been concerned (and depressed) that many people simply didin't "get it", I found a method that was "teachable" in your book.  Whats more, everyone in the class gets simsilar results so no lengthy (and boring) philosophical debates!  Thanks.

All -  in regards to the use case cookbook, I re-discovered this paper recently "Tools for inventing organizations: Toward a handbook of organizational processes" read it at
http://ccs.mit.edu/papers/CCSWP198/index.html

The paper describes a similar concept but for processes.  (It is also similar to the "Domain Neutral Component Catalogue" (or whatever it was called) that came on the CD with the UML in Colour book.

I couldn't access the on-line handbook just now but I could earlier in the week  ???  When it comes back on line spend some time browsing through it.  I can easily imagine a similar thing for use cases.

Hope this proves useful.

Phil

PhilR

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2003, 06:50:45 pm »
I couldn't access the on-line handbook just now but I could earlier in the week  ???

If you are interested try

http://process.mit.edu/eph/

seems to work now.

PhilR