Author Topic: The best way to write use cases?  (Read 5652 times)

Larry Tubbs

• EA Novice
  • Architects don't do it without a plan!
    • View Profile
Re: The best way to write use cases?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2003, 05:49:09 am »
This really is a great discussion. It looks like it was put to bed some time ago, but I have to make one comment. Fintan said:

"I avoid the word 'user' in use case texts and always specify the actor name."

I actually avoid the use of the Actor name in favor of "user" allowing relationships to define which actors can use the use case.

-Lar

Steve_Straley

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2003, 07:02:25 am »
Larry,

I'm not sure "user" works for all situations.  For example, in the system I just UC'd, there were ALOT of system-to-system interactions.  "Actor" is much more "neutral" between an actual person and a system whereas "user" seems to be more restrictive, especially in my situation.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Straley

Larry Tubbs

• EA Novice
  • Architects don't do it without a plan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2003, 11:32:14 am »
Ah, I see.  You are using the word "Actor" rather than the name of the actor doing the action.  That would be much more generic.  That works.  Thanks,

--Lar

garbelini

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2003, 12:27:32 pm »
Hi all,

I really think itīs a matter of knowing the environment and adapting the official recomendations to it. There really is no rulle that works for everybody and every project. (except for this one  ;))

The deal is to understand the recomendations and know how and when to use them.

Iīm just starting to learn this stuff but itīs already clear to me that you can and should adapt the process to your project and not the other way arround.

In other words: I actualy use the word "USER" for any Human<->System interaction within our use cases but I can definitely imagine more complex projects where this would not work.

Cheers,
Marco Garbelini
Cheers,
Marco Garbelini

darryl_staflund

• EA User
  • &quot;mmmMMMmmm!!!   UML!&quot;  -- Attributed to Homer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2003, 03:25:24 pm »
Hi there,

If I am developing an n-tier web application I like to write one use case that handles that handles all the different scenarios of a business process being implemented.

When I draw it up using Enterprise Architect, however, I like to create an abstract use case icon for the use case as a whole and then create concrete particular use case icons for each round-trip from the client to the server and back again.  I then use realize relations to connect them back to the abstract use case icon.

I get a number of benefits from doing this:

1.  I can come up with rough estimates on how long it will take to implement the use case by multiplying the number of client/server requests with the average historical time needed to implement a client/server request.

2.  I can create interaction diagrams for each client/server request, making sure to focus on the calls taking place for it.

3.  I can partition the concrete uses cases to my workmates.

I like it :-)  And this way of partitioning use cases goes hand-in-hand with presentation technologies like Jakarta Struts in which the atomic work unit is an 'Action'.

Cheers,
Darryl